Does insulin cause heavy sweating?

kmtech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you know if insulin has this as a side effect because over the last week I noticed I get really hot and my face starts sweating heavily.
Is it just me who gets this as a side effect?
Is there any way to stop it naturally

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you know if insulin has this as a side effect because over the last week I noticed I get really hot and my face starts sweating heavily.

Do you test your blood sugar when you get this? Heavy sweating can be a sign of a hypo @kmtech

Reactions: col101

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it is a hypo, the way to,treat it is to have some fast acting glucose/sugar eg a small amount of Lucozade or full sugar Coke or some jelly babies followed by some longer acting carbs like a slice of bread or a digestive biscuit or two.

If it's happening a lot, you should speak to,your DSN to see if your insulin doses need adjusting @kmtech

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @kmtech
welcome to the forum !! :)

the description you give does sound like a hypo -- my face sometimes gets "red" with a hypo and I feel as though I am sweating .

do you have a meter to test your blood sugars ??
how long have you been taking insulin ?

are you speaking regularly with your diabetic nurse for advice ??

big hugs -- it is not nice feeling like you have described
x

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel hot and start sweating if my BG is low. Also the shaking but mostly i can only see and feel that on my hands.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I know what you mean - I am not sure if I'm sweating more since I was diagnosed or my bodies natural functions are just better since my blood sugar is better controlled and energy can be delivered to my muscles by insulin. Does this happen at rest or with exertion?

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@kmtech how much insulin are you taking?

Since changing from huge amounts of mixed insulin I am having no night sweats and only sweating in a very low hypo.
Ok I'm sweating today as a very hot day and I'm heavily overweight.

I was taking at one point 90, 90 and 80 units of mixed insulin. I think the excessive serum was causing water retention in the abdomen. And night sweats additionally to day sweats. Maybe.
I may be premenopause too. Not sure. Although only sweating in exertion and in very low hypos.

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I sweat from my head when my blood sugars are high, or if they are low. Have you tested your blood sugar when this happens?

kmtech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Someone said that because my body is used to high numbers as the insulin is bringing me down it gives a false hypo even at 12 or 9. Once I stabilise it should go away. This explanation makes sense because I definitely am not in low range but am much lower than I'm used to. For years I have been in high numbers 20 to 30, so now it's coming down I'm not used to it.

kmtech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@kmtech how much insulin are you taking?

Since changing from huge amounts of mixed insulin I am having no night sweats and only sweating in a very low hypo.
Ok I'm sweating today as a very hot day and I'm heavily overweight.

I was taking at one point 90, 90 and 80 units of mixed insulin. I think the excessive serum was causing water retention in the abdomen. And night sweats additionally to day sweats. Maybe.
I may be premenopause too. Not sure. Although only sweating in exertion and in very low hypos.

I take 20 units a day.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Someone said that because my body is used to high numbers as the insulin is bringing me down it gives a false hypo even at 12 or 9. Once I stabilise it should go away. This explanation makes sense because I definitely am not in low range but am much lower than I'm used to. For years I have been in high numbers 20 to 30, so now it's coming down I'm not used to it.
Maybe. False hypos do happen, yes.
Like others have said keep testing so your team can have the whole picture.
Do you get the shakes as well as sweats? Fast heart beat?
Have you had a full blown hypo before to compare the feeling?

kmtech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maybe. False hypos do happen, yes.
Like others have said keep testing so your team can have the whole picture.
Do you get the shakes as well as sweats? Fast heart beat?
Have you had a full blown hypo before to compare the feeling?

I don't get shakes but sometimes have tremor due to anxiety. I know it's not a huge dose of insulin but my point is it is reduced my levels to what I'm not used to for first time in months or possibly years. I can't see another explanation for this.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't get shakes but sometimes have tremor due to anxiety. I know it's not a huge dose of insulin but my point is it is reduced my levels to what I'm not used to for first time in months or possibly years. I can't see another explanation for this.
How long did you give yourself to reach 20units per day?
Normally the nurse encourages slow insulin increases to prevent hypo problems.
Is it possible your bgs are changing too quickly? Causing palpatations and sweats?

Reactions: Struma

kmtech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How long did you give yourself to reach 20units per day?
Normally the nurse encourages slow insulin increases to prevent hypo problems.
Is it possible your bgs are changing too quickly? Causing palpatations and sweats?

I did jump from 12 units up to 20 just the other week my dr told me to increase it by 2 units a day until I saw it reducing my sugar. Maybe you are right the quick jump is the cause. But I hope sweats will go away quickly.