Type 2 Does it "Really" matter if you spike high, then level after an hour?

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as the title suggests,

if you eat or drink and spike higher than the recommended levels, but within an hour after the spike come back down to normality (in my case between 9 and 10 and back down to below 6) not every day but on the odd occasion, if every other day is good db management?

I know what makes me spike, but some things i'm amazed at as to why I don't spike more... for example, wheat seems to make me go high on minimal amounts, fizzy juice less so, so if i spike at 9.whatever, is it that bad if i go below 6 after an hour of registering it??? Surely in a HBA1c it will probably look quite good?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
everybody has spikes with eating -- the goal with diabetes is to minimise the spikes and try to maintain a level that is always within target.

between 9 and 10 is a bit high but you are very early in diagnosis and over time should find a pattern and food intake that suits you.
aiming for a top of spike of 8 is a more friendly outcome being T2D.

all the best !!!!!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Even non diabetics spike after eating but normally quickly come back down to normal levels. Though there does seem to be of late some opinion that even non diabetics can suffer vascular damage from high blood sugar peaks even though of short duration.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Avoiding big spikes is the best way to keep control.
One of the worst things you can do is have wide fluctuations of blood glucose levels and it will show up on your Hba1c

Reactions: 2 people