Does LCHF make you more sensitive to carbs?

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hey all,

Just a question regarding LCHF and how it "changes" your system. I still have some more testing to do before formal diagnosis, but am most likely "pre"diabetic. Staying quite LC and my glucose readings stay nice and low as long as I stay LC, but I have noticed (for example this morning)...got to work and there was pumpkin pie someone brought it. Ate a fairly small slice and also thought I would take the opportunity to do some BG testing as well.

At first bite (10:27am) was at 5.4. At 11:05am, jumped to 10.9. At 12:09, was 8.8, and now at 12:27 I am at 5.9.

So I guess my question is, like I have seen mentioned for the OGTT, you should eat carbs for 2-3 days beforehand as the readings may be artifically high. Is measuring BG after being LCHF as a "test" for the rarely eaten sugary food a waste of time? Is it a meaningless measurement, or is it just confirming sensitivity to carbs?

Not sure that all makes sense...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's kind of both.
If you were "pre diabetic" then it's likely you will overreact to carbs in your diet anyway. By avoiding them then suddenly springing some on the body you may well cause of bit of a "OMG what the hell was that" reaction on top of your "normal" over reaction thus showing your jump.
Thats why I keep them as low as possible although I did manage to "pass" an OGTT without carbing up beforehand..

Reactions: AloeSvea

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Insulin sensitivity can improve over time for some people on LCHF. How long a time depends on the individual, for example how early they were diagnosed and how low carb they go and for how long.

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for the replies. I'll do some more researching on this.

Interestingly, I went on a nice brisk noon-hour walk (about 35 minutes long) right after posting at around 12:30, and in the last 5 minutes started to feel a bit weak/sweaty. Got back in and immediately took my glucose reading - 2.9. Washed hands and tried again....2.8. Immediately ate some lunch. Don't think I have ever had that happen before....first hypo I think.

Felt much better afterwards (even being a lower carb lunch - BG up to 6.0 now).

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hey all,

Just a question regarding LCHF and how it "changes" your system. I still have some more testing to do before formal diagnosis, but am most likely "pre"diabetic. Staying quite LC and my glucose readings stay nice and low as long as I stay LC, but I have noticed (for example this morning)...got to work and there was pumpkin pie someone brought it. Ate a fairly small slice and also thought I would take the opportunity to do some BG testing as well.

At first bite (10:27am) was at 5.4. At 11:05am, jumped to 10.9. At 12:09, was 8.8, and now at 12:27 I am at 5.9.

So I guess my question is, like I have seen mentioned for the OGTT, you should eat carbs for 2-3 days beforehand as the readings may be artifically high. Is measuring BG after being LCHF as a "test" for the rarely eaten sugary food a waste of time? Is it a meaningless measurement, or is it just confirming sensitivity to carbs?

Not sure that all makes sense...
Hi Nexus6 same thing happened to me when I could not get a proper breakfast and had to eat custard and strawberry tarts and coffee. Got a startling high reading 2 hours later. See the Kraft insulin curves which show that LCHF can lower the insulin and cause a flat type V curve which mimics a type 1 diabetic, but which , in the case of type 2, can be reversed [ but who would want to have high insulin ? ] by reverting to normal high carb diet for several weeks before the kraft test.