Does losing weight benefit you ?

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
Hi, I have had type two for about 20 years I control it with insulin and metformin. 3.5 years ago when I had a heart attack I was almost 22 stone having survived this I decided to do something about my weight I was taking 240 units of insulin a day since then my weight has decreased to 15 st 4 lbs and my insulin has reduced to just 30 units a day at age 72 I feel really great and have all this energy so losing weight really does work and I'm hoping to lose a further 2.5 stone.

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey congratulations!

I know that losing weight while injecting insulin isn't always easy. Very impressive :D
And delighted you are feeling so much better, too.

Reactions: Prem51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fabulous weight loss and reduction in insulin doses. That really is impressive! really well done.

If you keep up the good work, with just a few pounds more off, you will have lost a whole me!

Reactions: Prem51

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Impressive weight loss and reducing your meds - good job:)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great weight reduction @rogbert, well done! :)
In answer to your question I feel that weight loss did benefit me as most of my excess weight was around my middle which I believe would also increase the visceral fat around my liver and pancreas, which in turn would have increased my risk of T2 diabetes.