Does Metformin help?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello people, I'm really scared and sad, waiting for diagnosis result but It seems I'm very probably type 1. I'm controlling diabetes with diet right now, staying between 85-140 mg/dl. In case of type 1 does Metformin help controlling glucose in any way? If possible I would like for the first period at least to avoid insulin... I can't imagine myself doing insuline at every meal. Is it possible to do insuline only sometimes when you eat too many carbs? Sorry for the maybe stupid questions but I feel very confused :-(((

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are late onset LADA type1 you may not need insulin immediately. @LucySW and @Daibell can talk you through their diagnoses, however if your meal reaction is sky high glucose levels, and you are struggling to get an hba1C below 10, it's probable that you have faster onset T1 and @TorqPenderloin would be good to talk to.

In either case, avoiding carbs will help keep your glucose levels lower, but metformin will have little effect. Other T2 drugs really shouldn't be taken as they affect the longevity of your beta cells, so unless, for now, you can manage with diet, as a T1, insulin is all you've really got.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a T2 and was put on Metformin prior to the period where I did some intense testing to find out what different foods did to me. Metformin did nothing for me and any difference it might have made was totally swamped by the improvement that getting the diet right achieved. I pointed this out to my nurse who said that there were some longer term benefits to Metformin but I was and I remain sceptical. I am not sure how long Metformin has been around so I have doubts that long term results of any value exist but I would say that wouldn't I since if I have any excuse for not taking pills I will go for it.

EDIT: The FDA approved it in 1994.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I was high today before lunch, 219 mg/dl (I ate some sugars for breakfast). At lunch I had about 30 grams carbs, and after lunch I did 30 minutes trampoline bouncing while watching a movie. 2h after lunch I was 84! Movement helped me a lot, and I had little to no sweat. Where did that big amount of sugar go?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, exercise might help to control your levels. Exercise can increase your insulin sensitivity so if you are producing some of your own insulin exercising will make it more effective so the sugar will have been moved into the cells to be stored or used for energy. The exercise will expend energy and you will need to process some of the sugar to use it for energy to do the moving.

thedupuisr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Usually I inject 10 units of insulin per meal. If I run out of insulin, I use 2-3 tables of metformin instead. I do find it effective but I also find that it messes with my stomach.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually I inject 10 units of insulin per meal. If I run out of insulin, I use 2-3 tables of metformin instead. I do find it effective but I also find that it messes with my stomach.

In my understanding it's unusual for Metformin to have an immediate effect on blood sugars, although it can help your bodies use any insulin we may have in our systems (naturally, or injected) to work better. For most people, they see the impact over Metformin, once it has had a chance to build up a bit in their systems.

I think the early days of diabetic management for T1s can be very variable, depending on whether the pancreas has failed altogether or if it functioning at a very sub-optimal level.

Some T1s manage to stay off insulin for a while, after diagnosis, by carefully managing their diet. @June_C started on insulin (I believe), but has been able to give it up for some time, but using dietary control. @Ian DP is a late onset T1 who has also done brilliantly well keeping things in check.

It's fair to say not everyone is that lucky in terms of how their bodies have reacted to it all, so do try to keep an open mind on how things will be going forward.

One thing I will say is, though, that where I have read of newly diagnosed T1s really struggling with their levels, whilst, like you, they haven't wanted to go onto insulin, they have usually felt so much better once their bloods were under control. Very blood sugars can make you feel quite unwell, and very down all by themselves.

There are lots of people here who will have trod this path before you, so stick around and ask lots of questions, as well as searching and reading. Really good luck with it all.

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@P17BULL

I am T1, diagnosed in Jan and prescribed metformin and insulin straightaway.

I am only currently injecting once a day and using diet to keep my bgs down. I have novorapid but haven't developed the confidence to use it properly yet.

I came off metformin for a little while because my dose was increased so significantly I really struggled with gut issues. However, I have asked to go back on it and slowly but surely increase to a dosage that agrees with me.

My bgs have not been so erratic on metformin and it seems to make my levemir work better?! Not sure if there is any science to it or some bizarre placebo effect.

Listen to what your Dr's say - although I find they give you a broad idea but it's down to the individual to manage what works for then.

My understanding though,based on your post would be no, metformin won't help you in the absence of insulin.

The best thing I can advise is the LCHF diet in conjunction with insulin (and perhaps metformin) is the best medicine. On LCHF I do not often find myself in the position of needing to inject more than once a day. (although everyone is different of course)

Good luck with your results, regardless of which, you will be absolutely fine!

Mup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello people, I'm really scared and sad, waiting for diagnosis result but It seems I'm very probably type 1. I'm controlling diabetes with diet right now, staying between 85-140 mg/dl. In case of type 1 does Metformin help controlling glucose in any way? If possible I would like for the first period at least to avoid insulin... I can't imagine myself doing insuline at every meal. Is it possible to do insuline only sometimes when you eat too many carbs? Sorry for the maybe stupid questions but I feel very confused :-(((
I have
@P17BULL

I am only currently injecting once a day and using diet to keep my bgs down. I have novorapid but haven't developed the confidence to use it properly yet.

I came off metformin for a little while because my dose was increased so significantly I really struggled with gut issues. However, I have asked to go back on it and slowly but surely increase to a dosage that agrees with me.

My bgs have not been so erratic on metformin and it seems to make my levemir work better?! Not sure if there is any science to it or some bizarre placebo effect.

Listen to what your Dr's say - although I find they give you a broad idea but it's down to the individual to manage what works for then.

My understanding though,based on your post would be no, metformin won't help you in the absence of insulin.

The best thing I can advise is the LCHF diet in conjunction with insulin (and perhaps metformin) is the best medicine. On LCHF I do not often find myself in the position of needing to inject more than once a day. (although everyone is different of course)

@P17BULL

I have Late Onset Type 1 & take Metformin along with insulin. I take 1 500g tablet with each meal & don't need insulin at breakfast or lunch times. I have a little insulin (Nova Rapide) at supper time as that's my larger meal & I keep carbs very low. I do have a slow acting insulin (Levemir) each evening.

However, injecting becomes just as easy as cleaning your teeth- so don't worry!

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your words guys. Hopefully I'll get used to it if I have to.
I'm getting a bit crazy understanding my body. Sometimes my blood sugars get high without reason, sometimes i eat too much and they stay low. Seems like it doesn't depend from my meals, I can't understand. Sometimes even sports do not help, other times just laying on the bed helps.

Feelings are hard too. I feel high on glucose (feel warm) when I'm not and vice verse. It's madness!

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on insuline from a few days, but I'm doing very small amounts, 2 units per meal and my values are very good. I asked my doctor to do a Metformin only therapy. He said for type 1 is normally non effective but trying doesn't hurt. I will try 2 weeks Metformin only in June.

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @P17BULL

I was mislabelled type 2 and was on metformin for along time. I've now been diagnosed type 1 (most likely LADA, type 1.5) for just over a week.

My DNS has left me on metformin as well as insulin (Levemir and Novarapid). I guess at some point I'll end up coming off the metformin. I can't say I have proof it's doing anything, but on the flip side, I can't say I have proof that it isn't helping!

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JJO,

that's what I'm hoping, to be a LADA. I know that I will need insulin anyway in the future, but i want to delay that moment as much as I can.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's all a bit complicated! If you are a LADA as I am, Metformin helps a bit at any time as it does for T2s as well. If never has much effect on blood sugar and is of most use if you have excess weight. I have found and a Google search confirmed it that as a LADA on Basal/Bolus, having Metformin does reduce the need for insulin by a small percentage amount. LADAs normally need something like Gliclazide (Diamicron is the USA) and perhaps a Gliptin for a while before insulin to stimulate the pancreas as it will be failing. I found Gliclazide helped a bit for a few years but eventually the max dose I was having stopped having any effect. Whatever your diagnosis, controlling the carbs is vital to avoid blood sugar and/or weight gain even when on insulin. In summary, if your blood sugar is too high even on low-carb then eventually you will need insulin if a LADA. Something Gliclazide may help for a while. Metformin is really just a background diabetes medication and some would say docs rely on it a bit too much.

yycdordor

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
washing dishes lol
I was diagnosed as T2 back in end of Nov and after GAD tests confirmed as T1 in march 2016, when i was misdiagnosed as T2 (24mmol BG), metformin never help me at all(still around 16mmol), after i know im a LADA T1 i was on 3 metformin n 160 glipizide dose, it works in the first 2 weeks(down to 10mmol BG), but it goes crazy after that (back to 20mmol). Now my GP put me on long acting insulin10 to 12units (6/7u in morning m 4/5u before dinner) now with 2 metformin per day, its been a month now and my BG so much stable (morning read is 6.5mmol,before lunch is 8mmol, before dinner 6.5mmol). Suggestion to talk to you diabetic team/GB with your BG reading pattern and food log, it will be a good starting point to address why causing the BG high.
NB: my GP asked me to skip all the sugar related food/drink n have only a 1/2 cup of carbs per day plus exercise!. Its really help to start getting the BG go rown n remain stable, then you can try and introduce different food to test what food your body dislike. For me milk is a big no go and eggs,spinach and mushroom is fabulous!
Hope it helps!

Sent from my SM-N910U using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

yycdordor

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
washing dishes lol
Thanks for your words guys. Hopefully I'll get used to it if I have to.
I'm getting a bit crazy understanding my body. Sometimes my blood sugars get high without reason, sometimes i eat too much and they stay low. Seems like it doesn't depend from my meals, I can't understand. Sometimes even sports do not help, other times just laying on the bed helps.

Feelings are hard too. I feel high on glucose (feel warm) when I'm not and vice verse. It's madness!
As our pancreas still functioning, but they go on strike from time to time. So consistency on the amount of food intake will definately helps!!

Sent from my SM-N910U using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no problem with low carb, my doc asked me to eat more carbs while on insuline. Never did more than 2 units per meal though, and 6u long lasting before bedtime.
I'm on my first days of therapy, I have to study all my body reactions. I'm so happy I found this forum.

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no problem with low carb, my doc asked me to eat more carbs while on insuline. Never did more than 2 units per meal though, and 6u long lasting before bedtime.
I'm on my first days of therapy, I have to study all my body reactions. I'm so happy I found this forum.

Another suggestion that was given to me is the app MySugr if you have a device it works on! Very useful to track data and super easy to enter things in.

Josh