Does Metformin make you feel better?

Teasel Too

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I started Metformin yesterday, and am wondering if it will help me feel better and if so how long it might take?

Today I feel like I actually have some energy, but figure 24 hours isn't long enough for it to start working.

If it has helped you feel better, in which ways did you feel better?
Thanks

Tomo6942

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having no money to enjoy life and spend it with the family.
Hi, I started Metformin yesterday, and am wondering if it will help me feel better and if so how long it might take?

Today I feel like I actually have some energy, but figure 24 hours isn't long enough for it to start working.

Thanks
Hi, I took Metformin some years ago but it did not really make me feel any different personally, and then on my next meeting with the Diabetic nurse she increased the dosage from 8mg to 16mg, which made me feel really ill aftretaking the dose for around 3-5 days so I stopped taking Metformin every since but thats my own experience so it will I suspect be different for you and everyone. I personaly rely more on diet and excersie, since I changed my eating habits I have been so much better. Good luck & stay safe.

Reactions: Teasel Too

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Thanks
Hello Hilda. I take Metformin, and have done so since January 2016. When on a three times per day dosage it seemed to thin my hair, which is already quite fine, but I had no tummy upsets as a number of folk do, so that was good. My GP said that they were to protect my heart? No idea if that is true, but anyway I have been on one per day (mornings) for three years now with no ill effects. I am rarely ill so cannot say if they make you feel 'better' in that way, but I feel better to be on them until my numbers are acceptable. Maybe it's a psychological 'feeling well' perhaps?

JoeEBentleigh

Some people evidently get fatigue from high blood sugar, so if you are one of those people, metformin should make you feel better by lowering your blood sugar.

Please note however that metformin can have some pretty unpleasant side effects for some people. When I first started taking it I experienced nausea but that went away after a few days (it's usually just a short-term side effect). However, I had an ongoing problem with gastric pain. Eventually I managed to solve that by (a) ensuring I always took the metformin on a full stomach (ie right after a meal) and (b) drinking plenty of water with the metformin - usually about 400 ml. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Teasel Too