Does Metformin really help?

ambemedical

Hi There,

I am doing a bit of research and am also curious to hear from all those using Metformin to ask you if you feel as though it actually helps?

Any comments?

P

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I use Metformin 2 or 3 X 500mg per day, depending on what I eat. I control my carbs, so I don't know whether the Metformin is doing anything much. I know there's a school of thought which suggests its only use should be in pre-diabetes or Polycystic Ovary syndrome.
I ought to do a trial of a day or 2 without the Metformin to see what it does, but since I don't get side effects and it's supposed to be protective against some cancers, I keep taking it.
My usual bgs are in the range 4.2 to 5.7.last HbA1c was 5.6% and I'm due one this week.

Angela09

Dislikes
Oh, where to start! Am a grumpy old woman!
Hi, I didn't know Metformin protects from some cancers. That's a bonus. Which ones does it protect you from? I have just changed to SR Metformin as the ordinary one upsets my stomach. I had put up with it for 9 years! I haven't noticed a great improvement to be honest but it is better only taking it twice a day from the remembering point of view. I also take Pioglitazone and Glibenclamide. My blood sugars have improved a lot recently (down .7 at my last visit) simply due to eating red grapes every day. I won't know until February what my present levels are as the surgery has decided to test you in the month you were born. This replaces the twice yearly testing which they did previously. Cost cutting I presume or reacting to pressure from the flu (and people panicking). :)

PatrickSutton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Burnt cheese, crispy bacon, avocados
I take 500 mg metformin 3 x a day. I eat normal carbs, and exercise every day. Since diagnosis 2 years ago I have lost three stone in weight (and kept it off!). BG is within the normal range for type 2. My most recent HbA1c was 5.9, before that 5.9 and 5.8. Metformin does the business for me! :D

emmele

I have tried six months on Metformin SR 500g x 3 originally, trying to increase to X4 but having to reduce to X 2 owing to horrendous gastric problems - prob exacerbated by underlying Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which my doctor seemed oblivious to. Eventually saw another partner and went in to beg for Byetta, but didn't have to beg at all - He said no use pursuing the Metformin (which initially helped me to shift nearly 2 stone, but had plateaued) and put me on Byetta - which after only three days seems to be the biz. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Emmele.

Welcome to the forum. See you are a Byetta user. There is a specific area called Anyone Use Byetta in the Diabetes Discussions forum. Take a look if you want information about the 'spit.' Just ask any questions when you are ready.

Ken.

ambemedical

Wow I was not aware that is helps against certain cancers.

Anyone else only on metformin? Perhaps Someone was on Metformin and then came off?

P

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was only on metformin, it really did do a lot to start with, I went from needing to sleep like 20 hours a day and constantly thirsty to feeling almost normal and blood sugar levels of about 7 or 8 ish can't remember exactly (hba1c). Blood sugar levels then rose again after a year or two, I'm now on pioglitazone too which has massively reduced my blood sugar levels. So metformin is doing something at least, although maybe less effective than pioglitazone, for me personally.

JAD337

I initially controlled my T2 with one gliclazide a day, but in 2006 my control went haywire and I ended up quadrupling my daily gliclazide, which helped, but then added 2 metformin in order to regain control. So it worked for me.

I don't suffer any major side effects and all I can say is that if I forget to take a metformin dose then my BGs seem to increase slightly. So it would appear metformin is still working for me.

Hope that helps.

Roger Ryton

I've been on Metformin (2 x 500mg daily) since my T2 diagnosis (HbA1c then 20) 12 months ago.
Considerable control achieved, HbA1c now 7.9 presumably due to Metformin. My diet is, I think, good, but regular exercise, poor. Note to self - must do better here. Doctor has just increased dose to 850mg since he is looking to achieve 7.0 highest. Time will tell if this will achieve the desired result. He is reluctant to prescribe other drugs, he says, since Metformin is a hypo-free medication.

Dobbs

There's no doubt in my mind that Metformin helps, certainly initially. When I was diagnosed T2 my fasting blood sugar was 17.6 and after two weeks on 2x500 Metformin it was 8.6, and that's without any other real changes - this was before I knew anything at all about diabetes treatment. My fasting levels have continued to come down since then, these days generally in the 6s. I sometimes wonder how much Metformin does for me now, after a year, because I don't *just* treat my diabetes with Metformin any more - I've also lost weight, and have been low-carbing and generally eating less for some months now. Luckily enough I had no real Metformin side-effects to speak of.

jas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I am on Metformin 1 x twice daily for last 2 years. I have lost 2 stone in weight since then and have kept it off. But there is always a doubt in my mind if these tablets making me worse than before?
I have been kindly informed by my surgery nurse that diabetes is progressive condition. I will eventually go on insulin injections in future. That is not very reassuring, even after looking after my health watching my diet all the time, its still going to happen.

Jas

johnponsford

I have been taking Metformin now for a number of years, I am on a low carb diet which keeps my sugar levels down, so I have been able to cut down on the Metformin but when my sugar levels rise I take the extra tablet and that brings down my sugar levels within 24 hrs, so yes I say they do work.
John

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
I was surprised to read about the anti-cancer side of Metformin, I'd been told it helped prevent heart attacks and helped with weight loss (although this may be due to gastric problems). Like a lot of people, I struggled with the side effects so I was put on Glucophage (slow release Metformin). If anyone's having bad side effects, then let your doctor know as the slow release version makes it much easier (although it's not perfect). After 5 years, I now feel it's not working and I'm worried that my review next month might include a discussion about extra meds. As I take quite a few tablets every day, each time more are added in, I feel even lower.

calisto51

I have recently been expermenting with my medication I take 2 x 500mg metformin twice daily and the new drug Januvia once daily. I stopped the metfomin for a week and measured bg levels first thing in the morning BG reading 12-14 one hour after food Bg 23, two hours after food BG 14.
I started on the metformin again and found very little difference in the readings. Resuming the Januvia my BG improved on waking BG 9 after one hour BG 11 after two BG 7.0 at this level I start to feel lightheaded my average level over the day seems to settle around 10. Since taking the Januvia I seem to have aquired a tendancy for sore throats. Prior to this last time I had a sore throat was thirty years ago. Doctor informs me everything is under control I tend not to agree. I try and keep to a low carb diet and will continue to experiment to see what I can do to reduce the levels.

humph

I am on the full dose of Metformin and tolerate it well.

My consultant said that even if he felt it wasn't helping my diabetes, he would still leave me on it for the heart benefits alone.

rach1974

I'm a type 1 diabetic who has to take metformin for insulin resistance. I'm lucky in that I've had no side effects other than playing havoc with my guts. I notice a huge difference if I don't take it with my insulin. I am glad to hear about the health benifits ie cancer etc though as I never knew that.

dilibrum

i have been prescribed for past 4 months metformin,for ist month i took 3 x 500 mg a day but this was then increased to 4 x 500mg a day and this has got me down to 7.doctor has decided to leave me on this for a while longer.but i still get days when my reading are up to 13.

grum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noise, Clutter, Shopping, Gardening.
I note amid all the remarks about Meformin people appear to lose weight on it, HOW? or is this a side effect for some?
Also, do people really experiment on when or if they will take the tablet ?(apologies if I have misunderstood what has been written) isn't regularity what helps make the medication work?
My instruction is, take daily after breakfast take with or after food (500mg). G

thumbless1

Dislikes
The NHS which is overworked and behind the times.
I was Diagnosed type 2 around 6 ish months now.

It came as a great shock and i went into Denial, blamed the health service.

Started reading on other forums and from what i have learned is.

1. Metoformin builds up in the system and a couple of day's without wont make a major difference.
2. Metoformin should be taken before or after food, any later and it is not worth taking it.
3. As for wait loss it does not work for me, but does keep me regular and occasionally cleans me out.
4. It takes 4-6 months for the side effects to lessen so in my case i stick with it.
5. Some people can control or hide Type 2 with diet and exercise but it is still hiding in the background.

Davey.