Dislikes
Vegetables
There are 2 different names.

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A person in work was getting really annoying talking about my diabetes just like the rest of you, so to shut him up, I just casually mentioned that I'd read that it can be very contagious and that someone had caught diabetes from a diabetic sneezing in front of them. He never bothered me again after that ;)

I'll have to try that one!

Reactions: 2 people

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Don't push it too far or people will be treating us like lepers STAY AWAY STAY AWAY!

Reactions: 6 people

H&T

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
My 55 year old boyfriend developed type 1 aged 40 following a severe depression when he got divorced, probably trigged by stress and bad eating habits.

I believe type 1 and 2 diabetes should have very different names, they are very different conditions especially as type 1 cannot be reversed by lifestyle changes. Maybe then people would understand, I didn't know the difference until this relationship and just how challenging type 1 is to manage.

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My 55 year old boyfriend developed type 1 aged 40 following a severe depression when he got divorced, probably trigged by stress and bad eating habits.

I believe type 1 and 2 diabetes should have very different names, they are very different conditions especially as type 1 cannot be reversed by lifestyle changes. Maybe then people would understand, I didn't know the difference until this relationship and just how challenging type 1 is to manage.
Really? You think Type 1 can be caused by stress and bad eating habits? And you think type 2 is not a challenge to manage? Are you sure you know the difference?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 for 18 months and get this type of thing all the time. A nurse at the doctors argues with me every time I go in that I'm too old to have type 1 (35) and that only children get it. I find getting these types of comments really upsetting. And I too think the name should be changed

Shocking that a nurse would say that.

My friend's mother said a similar thing to me though - only children get Type 1. She also told me that maybe I should lose weight. As I'm very slim anyway, that was a mad thing to say. Finally, she ended with that very annoying 'you must have eaten too many sweets' comment. Infuriating!

Another person, watching me eat a chocolate bar during a long hike, told me "You're not allowed to eat that". Er, I think I am!

Reactions: 8 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
D'you know what, though? Not everyone who has T2 is fat, either. Or had a bad diet/ate too many sweets. Or *looks* like they have diabetes. Or can control their blood glucose with diet.
And whilst there is known to be a correlation between obesity and T2 diabetes, correlation does NOT necessarily imply causation.
There are no good studies or evidence yet that back up the idea that obesity causes T2 diabetes and certainly no more out that than the alternative suggesting that insulin resistance causes obesity.
I'm afraid I really can't bring myself to get behind the idea that T1 and T2 diabetes should have different names - the effects of the two are very similar, and many T2s will eventually stop producing insulin which renders them substantially the same (albeit for different reasons). We should all stick together and support each other - we should ALL be trying to fight the stigma, rather than simply distancing ourselves...
Yes, I agree. I am laughing my way through the comments here. After nearly fifty years, I honestly no longer find them surprising or irritating. My family is replete with diabetics of both Type 1 and 2. In my entire extended family only two people are overweight. One is very obese ( one of my sisters). She is not diabetic. One is overweight (my mum) and has been for a good forty years. She is not diabetic. My grandfather - skinny and type 2. My dad, skinny type 2, my aunt, skinny type 2. And so on. So I am pretty patient but insistent when people pull the fat causes diabetes argument. And even when people with type 2 are fat, I believe (I have no proof) that it's just possible that people's overeating may have a root related to diabetes. Supposedly, type 1s have a shortage of insulin AND amylin. Amylin is supposed to control appetite. I do not believe I have a shortage of amylin because I do not have a big appetite. But what if that is my (obese) sister's problem? Nobody has ever done any research yet to check this. It could be a very interesting question. I am really tempted to get my hands on some amylin, go home and jab big sis. Apparently, if she feels nauseous, she needs it. If she doesn't feel nauseous, she's used to it because she's producing it. Simple test. So tempting. What do you think?

( quick edit: it's a joke, honestly!)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Shocking that a nurse would say that.

My friend's mother said a similar thing to me though - only children get Type 1. She also told me that maybe I should lose weight. As I'm very slim anyway, that was a mad thing to say. Finally, she ended with that very annoying 'you must have eaten too many sweets' comment. Infuriating!

Another person, watching me eat a chocolate bar during a long hike, told me "You're not allowed to eat that". Er, I think I am!
Honestly, I have been diabetic for nearly fifty years. My younger sister was diagnosed about 12 years ago at 33. I thought she was a weird one-off. Only when I found this site did I find that adults are now being diagnosed. I had no idea. I was discussing it only on Friday with a friend. We wondered what used to happen to people with adult-onset Type 1 and LADA years ago. Perhaps they died horribly young for lack of diagnosis or poor diagnosis!

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this string. People are so funny! I feel Azure and Natalie are right in wanting to educate the folk who have it so wrong. I know it can be wearing to have to explain over and over again the basics of our conditions but if we don't persist then ignorance will rule. As someone else said on here, before I was diagnosed last year with T1 I only had a rough idea of what's involved in trying to maintain your blood glucose levels. I'm 56 so at an age when I can cope with this - just about - but I still feel a tad weepy when thinking about those of you who've had to endure and grapple with all this since childhood. Much respect to you all! Only hope I can remain as determined you! :)

Reactions: 8 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
One favourite that was said to me was

"If you eat chocolate will you die!"

Reactions: 10 people

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mother and grandmother are the ones that drive me insane. My granny frequently asks if I am "off the insulin" yet. I have explained it numerous times that no, this is forever.

My mom on the other hand has a friend who is a type 2 who doesn't manage well and is on insulin but has told my mom she only needs one shot a day and could get off of it if she ate better. So no my mom assumes I am like her and constantly lectures about diet and why would I bother injecting so much when her friend doesn't have to.

Explained the differences and she just reminds me that he friend has had it longer so know more. Grrrr

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Oh dear. I have to admit I laughed when I read your post. Unbloodybelievable. Grrrrrr indeed.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mother and grandmother are the ones that drive me insane. My granny frequently asks if I am "off the insulin" yet. I have explained it numerous times that no, this is forever.

My mom on the other hand has a friend who is a type 2 who doesn't manage well and is on insulin but has told my mom she only needs one shot a day and could get off of it if she ate better. So no my mom assumes I am like her and constantly lectures about diet and why would I bother injecting so much when her friend doesn't have to.

Explained the differences and she just reminds me that he friend has had it longer so know more. Grrrr
That, would drive me nuts! :stop:

C-Mack, you must have an amazing level of patience. Respect!

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hah patience is not a strong point of mine however I can usually be diplomatic... That or rant and rave to my husband.

I love to read the diabetic humour, helps to laugh especially during the first month when all I wanted to do was cry and it took a good 5 - 10 mins to work up the courage to inject.

Ooo which reminds me of the whole friends sharing their story of getting a finger prick done once and it didn't hurt or that needles only hurt a bit.. Yeah that's great, now add that to your daily routine every day forever. Thankfully I haven't had this long and I know my attitude on it all will continue to change.

But for now I will continue to try to get a giggle now and then, and shaw my head knowing that last year I would have been guilty of making some of the same comments as others.

And now I am babbling!

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
I tell people type 1 is insulin related,type 2,is more common in overweight people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There must be some kind of award from Diabetes.co.uk that we can give this man. Anyone?
A book?
vitdiabetes.jpg

And if you believe this, then I also have a timeshare apartment in Honduras I want to talk with you about!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marling

I never discuss my diabetes (after 53 successful years of avoiding to do so). Except, of course, with family, friends and people who need to know at work, in case...

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
As a type 2 on insulin for over a year now I can empathise with the type 1's too. I'm not plump either and people say "only fatties get T2" and other stereotypical ****. People assume I must be type 1 too being on insulin...gets worse with all the you can't eat this and that malarkey. I no longer publicize my diabetes and give the minimum of education to the ill informed.