Does this seem normal?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So last Tuesday (last week not this) I took my last diabetic meds.

I had got used to my sugar patterns. Now they are completely and utterly different.

I’m waking up higher (up to 9 but usually 8s). Even if I test early hours I’m still up there.

By lunch time still in the 8s

By this time of day 5pm ish I’m hitting 6s and today 5.6 (yippee)

Then by the time I go to bed it’s up in the 8s and 9s again.

Couple of questions.

1) If these are high numbers for me does that mean my hba1c will go above the 54 in November tests?

2) dr mainly concerned if I’m consistently hitting double figures (so 10 and above) I know people here say 8 is too high so should I be going to dr?

My sugars are reacting normally in that my food isn’t pushing them up higher than they should it’s just they are always higher to begin with.

3)I’ve been getting really bad headaches this week. Is that dorm to more sugar in my blood? Feels like carb flu but they are higher not lower and I haven’t dropped anything food wise as been good anyway.

4) I exercised twice this morning for a total of 40 mins. So assuming that gave me my 5.6 just now.

But it’s almost like I need to exercise at night again to work overnight (really not going to happen as I’m usually working)

I’ve aldo noticed my eyes seem really bad this week. Can’t be a coincidence

Is it good if my sugars drop this time but are higher the rest? I don’t think so but I have no idea other than to jump around 24/7 to achieve the lower numbers again

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi woollygal,
You probably know better than me, but since all your BG figures are higher this seems like either:-
1. You have an new meter or new batch of test strips.
2. You are suffering from something that is raising your BG levels.
This could be: An infection
Stress
Lack of sleep
Some other cause.

Having recently gone thorough a similar period, I personally wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it persists for 3 or more weeks or on a different batch of test strips.

My raised levels lasted for about 3 weeks, but have settled back again.

Best wishes,
Ian

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I don't know if you exercise every morning, but if you are doing so on an empty stomach then that can cause elevated levels. If there is no food present, then your liver will provide it in the form of glucose which can show higher levels.

I gather you have stopped all meds? This could well explain the rise and I don't know anything about your diet, so if you have added something or changed eating times or there has been no change at all, then perhaps you may want to review your diet? Perhaps a few minor changes may need to be taken?

I'm not saying it is one thing or another, just offering a few things to take into consideration. I wouldn't be worrying about A1c numbers so much as finding out why you are running as high as you are. IMO - concentrate on glucose levels, if you get those sorted out, the A1c test will sort itself out. At least that's what I focus on, glucose control through the day. To me that's more important then worrying about what my A1c is or will be.

Reactions: Angengray

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I don't know if you exercise every morning, but if you are doing so on an empty stomach then that can cause elevated levels. If there is no food present, then your liver will provide it in the form of glucose which can show higher levels.

I gather you have stopped all meds? This could well explain the rise and I don't know anything about your diet, so if you have added something or changed eating times or there has been no change at all, then perhaps you may want to review your diet? Perhaps a few minor changes may need to be taken?

I'm not saying it is one thing or another, just offering a few things to take into consideration. I wouldn't be worrying about A1c numbers so much as finding out why you are running as high as you are. IMO - concentrate on glucose levels, if you get those sorted out, the A1c test will sort itself out. At least that's what I focus on, glucose control through the day. To me that's more important then worrying about what my A1c is or will be.
My sugars are higher upon waking so it’s not the exercise
I try to have a bite of cheese before I start any way.

The only change is the lack of meds.

I am eating more varied but still low carb

M

Member496333

Although not a definitive conclusion by any means, it seems to me that your glucose levels have gone up because you quit the medication. What meds were you taking?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Although not a definitive conclusion by any means, it seems to me that your glucose levels have gone up because you quit the medication. What meds were you taking?
Forxiga

That’s my conclusion as well. But it’s whether they are likely to settle and go down or if I should be going back to drs. Are 8 and 9 really bad?
I didn’t eat much yesterday and still woke up today in 8. They only go down late afternoon.

M

Member496333

Froxiga is an SGLT2 inhibitor. It removes glucose from the body in the urine. If you've stopped taking it and your glucose control has since gone a little wayward, then you probably have your answer.

~9mmol/L is higher than I would personally be happy with, but everyone has different expectations and opinions.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Froxiga is an SGLT2 inhibitor. It removes glucose from the body in the urine. If you've stopped taking it and your glucose control has since gone a little wayward, then you probably have your answer.

~9mmol/L is higher than I would personally be happy with, but everyone has different expectations and opinions.

So even if the only way to get lower was meds you would do meds to get lower?

M

Member496333

So even if the only way to get lower was meds you would do meds to get lower?

I can’t say what I would do, as I’m not in your position and don’t have insight into all the nuances of your individual situation. Personally I hold the view that the standard of care is too infatuated with blood glucose (the symptom) instead of the possible causes, but to go down that road here would be to unnecessarily complicate matters.

I will add though that unless I’m mistaken, Forxiga (class) is one of the few diabetes medications that seems to improve the longer term prognosis and reduce the likelihood of future complications. This is because it actually removes glucose from the body instead of hiding it anywhere other than the blood. I can think of worse medications to be using if diet was failing for me.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I can’t say what I would do, as I’m not in your position and don’t have insight into all the nuances of your individual situation. Personally I hold the view that the standard of care is too infatuated with blood glucose (the symptom) instead of the possible causes, but to go down that road here would be to unnecessarily complicate matters.

I will add though that unless I’m mistaken, Forxiga (class) is one of the few diabetes medications that seems to improve the longer term prognosis and reduce the likelihood of future complications. This is because it actually removes glucose from the body instead of hiding it anywhere other than the blood. I can think of worse medications to be using if diet was failing for me.
I was feeling I’ll on them hence why I cane off! Side effects seemed to be getting wider and I wasn’t doing very well on them.