Does your body have a "normal" BG level that it will aim at?

Howski

Hi

Pretty new to this, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I was wondering if there is a natural level your body thinks your BG levels should be at (even if this is wrong)?

I have been doing some testing and I don't see much of a difference between my 1 hour and my 2 hour tests (sometimes none at all!)- they normally stay around the high 6 to mid 7 levels. It got me to thinking that there might be some sort of cut off signal to stop trying to lower BG levels? Is this the case?

Thanks
-Howard

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Howski
i wondered about this a while ago. I seem to setle at about 5. I did some research and couldn't find any information on this. However. With careful monitoring, It seems to be possible to Re-set this number.
Hana

Howski

Yea its an odd one - but I suppose it makes sence that there is a level at which you insulin production goes right down and before your liver kicks in. I wonder is the same is true when you get a low?

Maybe someone knows of some medical research over it?

Still its early days testing but I was wondering if anyone else experianced that and had an expination

lilibet

Not for me

I rely totally on injected insulin and about six trillions factors affect how this goes so it pretty much settles where it wants!! :lol: I know where I LIKE to be (5's will do) but unless a T1 is very low carb then its hard not to rise beyond what you are seeing even with insulin.Not impossible, but less likely. Ironically (and cruelly!) eating a lower carb diet seems to train your body to convert even protein for glucose and although my nurses say not to count fats or protein when dosing, I do. A few slices of cold meat/cheese will see my bg rise without exception

I can eat the same food two days in a row, with the same fasting blood sugar, with the same insulin doses and get completely different results so not set point for me I'm afraid

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
lilibet said:
Not for me

I rely totally on injected insulin and about six trillions factors affect how this goes so it pretty much settles where it wants!! :lol: I know where I LIKE to be (5's will do) but unless a T1 is very low carb then its hard not to rise beyond what you are seeing even with insulin.Not impossible, but less likely. Ironically (and cruelly!) eating a lower carb diet seems to train your body to convert even protein for glucose and although my nurses say not to count fats or protein when dosing, I do. A few slices of cold meat/cheese will see my bg rise without exception

I can eat the same food two days in a row, with the same fasting blood sugar, with the same insulin doses and get completely different results so not set point for me I'm afraid

I hear you!! :lol: you can 'set' yourself for about a week and then you get a random high/low BG but you have been eating/doing exactly the same. It's taken me many, many years to get my head around that! I can eat cheese and meat without affecting my BG but then I've never tried eating any large qtys?? So who knows. Guess it all comes back to the old 'we are all different' saying :wink: I've recently noticed that I am going low before bed, my evening ratio appears to be wrong, all of a sudden?! I've done some tests, fasting etc and have come to the conclusion I need to change my evening ratio. Who knows what next month will bring?! :lol: