Dog Walk And Bg?

MissMac

I'm just back from walking the pooch...I had tested my sugars before going as was feeling a bit weird but they were fine @ 6.1. Anyway walked said pooch and was just interested to see what the readings were...7.1! I was googling madly to see whether exercise can increase sugars...thing is most of it is for type 1's and talking about intense activity which, though am red and puffy, I wouldn't say it was intense other than the hill back! lol.
So...just that really. I have noticed since starting LCHF I get a lot more "muscle burn" but have drawn inconclusive answers as to whether this is a good thing or not..yes I know...embarrassing for a nurse! Show me a trauma and I'm on it but endocrine? Urgh! xx

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!

Your BG can rise during exercise but typically from moderate/high intensity.

What you will find is that if you do three BG tests on the bounce that they'll all be different. The accuracy rate for BG meters is around +/-15%. That error margin would account for the 1mmol/L difference. Give it a go and see:)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Grant

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can add my two pennoth. I have 2 daily dog walks. Nothing very energetic. Moderate, slopes rather than hills, but rough ground and a dog that pulls so my arms get a bit of a bashing. These always put my levels up consistently by half a mmol/l for at least an hour after returning home. Housework is even worse. I still walk the dog because she has to have her walks, and the exercise does me good in other ways. I just have to accept it. It's how my body works.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've yet to really study my responses yet.... normally after a 30 min walk they are not that different. I was wild about 6 weeks ago and went for a 20 min run... near killed myself and my BG was a good 2 points up.... I find running really boring so haven't done much but I am looking for a stiffer from exercise...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've yet to really study my responses yet.... normally after a 30 min walk they are not that different. I was wild about 6 weeks ago and went for a 20 min run... near killed myself and my BG was a good 2 points up.... I find running really boring so haven't done much but I am looking for a stiffer from exercise...
Cycling is a good one, you can choose your own intensity and obviously whether to stick to a flat route or hills.

Running for me is a nightmare because no matter how slow or fast I try to run I'm always blowing out my... :)

Grant

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prefer not to do anything particularly strenuous. But when I do (we did some hill walking on hol earlier in the year) my bg swan dives to 4.5 and stays there. The longer and harder I exercise, the longer it stays down there.

I speculate that my usual range of bg (low 5s to high 6s) is due to insulin resistance, and one of the best ways to cut through insulin resistance is exercise.

Interestingly, fasting has proven to be (for me) even better at cutting through/driving down insulin resistance. More reliable, longer lasting and a lot less aggro. I can get 2-3 days of significantly lowered IR (mid 4s at its lowest) from a single 24 hr fast.

MissMac

Phew, that makes me feel a whole lot better guys 'cause I have been sitting in the 6's for a good 10 days now and always get a bit upset when I hit high!! I know...but it just shows me I am doing ok y'know? I checked it again an hour or so after and it had come down and again about another hour and likewise...I then went to sleep on the sofa cause I was stupid and went to bed post midnight but was still up this morning!!!! Ha ha. xx Thank you xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I would be supremely unconcerned about this. Unless one was eatingbefore going out, or on the way around, if the bloods go up, the sugar to facilitate that has to have come from our own resources in the liver. If we deplete our liver stores, the first thing our body will do when we next eat is to replenish itself, so the single reading, observing a rise, isn't the whole story. I would expect somewhere along the line to either saee and shallower upward curve after eating or a spike with a different profile.

To be honest, I don't find this myself, unless I exercise pretty vigorous, or during the course of my exercise I become a bit dehydrated.

Next time I wear a Libre sensor, I may just have a little experiment.

MissMac

To be honest, I would be supremely unconcerned about this. Unless one was eatingbefore going out, or on the way around, if the bloods go up, the sugar to facilitate that has to have come from our own resources in the liver. If we deplete our liver stores, the first thing our body will do when we next eat is to replenish itself, so the single reading, observing a rise, isn't the whole story. I would expect somewhere along the line to either saee and shallower upward curve after eating or a spike with a different profile.

To be honest, I don't find this myself, unless I exercise pretty vigorous, or during the course of my exercise I become a bit dehydrated.

Next time I wear a Libre sensor, I may just have a little experiment.
Thank you! Was most chuffed as after my little snooze I hit my lowest ever BG at 5.0!!!!!! I am most nervous to see what the lush pancakes I just made are gonna put my up to in a couple of hours but it will be worth it! ha ha xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! Was most chuffed as after my little snooze I hit my lowest ever BG at 5.0!!!!!! I am most nervous to see what the lush pancakes I just made are gonna put my up to in a couple of hours but it will be worth it! ha ha xx

You can see from my reasoning about using up your body stores how it might have influenced your lowest score to date?

Were the pancakes "normal" pancakes or a low carb variant?

MissMac

You can see from my reasoning about using up your body stores how it might have influenced your lowest score to date?

Were the pancakes "normal" pancakes or a low carb variant?
Low carb all the way!!!!! Post eating BG 6.6...I am happy! I had a few blueberries on them as a treat with my cream :) x

Reactions: 4 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG usually goes up during and after walking the dog. Goes up by about 0.7 if readings were flat before. If my BG is rising, Eg after a meal, and I then exercise, can sometimes temporarily halt the rise. This has been more pronounced after harder exercise (recently joined a gym). Everyone is different, but I'm sure regular exercise must help with insulin resistance in the long run, even if it gives you short term spikes, so I will keep walking the beagle.

davecatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine seems to stay stable, I'm out at 05:30 with Jess the collie for her morning scamper and then around 16:30 is we're out for an hour when I get back from work. I'm also doing exercise with a 'Body Blade' used one years back for rehab and it's great again, also thinking of starting hot yoga.