Don’t expect to change Dexcom G6 to G7 while on holiday

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t try to upgrade your Dexcom while your on holiday.

I have new G7 sensors but was using up my last G6 sensor while heading off for an extended holiday to Gibraltar expecting to just switch over to G7 while away.
I’m now stuck, the last G6 has now finished and the new G7 app won’t work.
On loading the G7 app it insists on using the iPhone location feature to verify location, the screen then says there is a location error and to contact Dexcom support.
Dexcom support have been helpful but say they have never encountered this problem before and will need to escalate which may take a couple of days.

What was supposed to be a simple switch from G6 to G7 has left me without either. I don’t fancy cutting my holiday short to fly back to the UK just to get the app to work.

Last edited:

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Don’t try to upgrade your Dexcom while your on holiday.

I have new G7 sensors but was using up my last G6 sensor while heading off for an extended holiday to Gibraltar expecting to just switch over to G7 while away.
I’m now stuck, the last G6 has now finished and the new G7 app won’t work.
On loading the G7 app it insists on using the iPhone location feature to verify location, the screen then says there is a location error and to contact Dexcom support.
Dexcom support have been helpful but say they have never encountered this problem before and will need to escalate which may take a couple of days.

What was supposed to be a simple switch from G6 to G7 has left me without either. I don’t fancy cutting my holiday short to fly back to the UK just to get the app to work.
How frustrating!

I do with many Apps have problems when migrating between the UK and SE Asia as they are licensed on a state/regional basis...How are Dexcom products supported in Gibraltar - though the UK or the Spanish subsidiary? You may need to get your subscription temporarily moved?

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update!
After 2 days Dexcom tech support don't have any solution, other than go back to using G6 as G6 doesn’t have location blocking software.

It looks like don’t upgrade to G7. Dexcom if you’re going on holiday.
The G7 software (unlike G6) insists on using the phones location software to confirm location. If you’re outside your home country the G7 software won’t load, just says location error, contact Dexcom Tech support for assistance, but tech support can’t do anything, the only solution they have is carry on with G6 (can’t as I no longer have any G6 supplies) or abandon my holiday and return home to load the G7 software.

So this is relevant for anyone who travels, goes on vacation, think about what happens if your phone dies, you loose your phone or it gets stolen? You can no longer just buy a new phone and download the app like you could with G6, with G7 it won’t install if your not in your home country. Make sure you have a contingency plan (take a back up none Dexcom glucose system with you), this is dangerous. or Stick with G6

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgreymare

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MoonSpirit Is it because you are trying to download/start the App abroad? I know with Libre, if the App is already installed it will work abroad, but it you try to reinstall/download abroad it won't, same as buying sensors abroad will only work in the country they were from/set up to be used in.

Hoping maybe once you have the G7 App installed and working in the UK, next time you go abroad it will continue to work. If Abbot can get the Libre to work, then pretty much any developer with a GCSE in programming should be able to!

• Agree

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting to know but I confess I try to keep things simple and familiar when I am away. And I mean "away" not "on holiday" as I frequently travel for work. In fact, I fly so much for work, I enjoy holidaying in my home country so wouldn't have the location blocking issue. But still wouldn't try something new when away from my "home comforts".

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are all sorts of hidden "technical issues" with phones and apps while travelling.
I couldn't order or pay for a takeaway in Chicago because my phone wasn't a "local" ie US phone. :eek: ;)
I travel a lot and always carry at least 4 methods of payment and 2 phones, 1 local to the country I'm visiting . I always take at least 2 full months medication and test strips etc. And paper copies of travel and medical documents. Yes, they are all supposed to be online or in apps but it's amazing how many times I've needed them.
It must be even more frustrating when the app is vital to your health

• Agree

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just so ****** off with Dexcom. The G6 didn’t have location software but the G7 does. At no point was this advised.

I’m rebuilding a boat I bought in Gibraltar, for the last year I have been flying back and forth between Gib and Jersey every couple of months. The boat is now almost finished and I will be sailing back to Jersey with it over this summer.

While in Jersey before Xmas I even ordered one additional G6 sensor telling the Dexcom sales department it was because I will be in Gib and have 2 new G6 sensors on the boat from last time I’d been there, but without 1 additional G6 I would run out of G6 before I next flew down to Gib, to last me until I flew back down to the boat and could then finish using up the last of my G6s before transferring to the G7 (I self fund and can’t afford to just ditch unused sensors) so Dexcom new full well I’d be transitioning to the G7 while in Gibraltar and didn’t warn me in any way that it would be a problem

SMN29DUB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same issue and Dexcom tech support were useless at helping find a solution. I eventually found a solution via another blog. You can use iAnyGo which is a GPS spoofer and that worked perfectly. Hope it helps others in the same situation.

Reactions: Hopeful34

JJLopez

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same issue and Dexcom tech support were useless at helping find a solution. I eventually found a solution via another blog. You can use iAnyGo which is a GPS spoofer and that worked perfectly. Hope it helps others in the same situation.
Hello, having same issue, it's for my kid and i actually don't live in the US, can you please share how you did it with iAnyGo... Thanks!