Don’t know what to eat?

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I’m so confused what to eat, I’d like to do low carb but I’ve had lots of bloods taken, one showing high serum ferritin, I’ve been asked to avoid any foods with high iron..
what am I left to eat if I take on the low carb diet to control my sugar levels.
I feel like I should give up eating.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Nikki365
For many of us Type 2 diabetics, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease come along just before or alongside T2 Diabetes and is corrected by a Low Carb way of eating just the same as for our T2 Diabetes.

Do you know which specific foods do you need to avoid? I was under the impression that for high ferritin you mainly have to avoid red meat and shellfish, but obviously lots of food contains iron (green leafy veg for example).

We don't (and can't) diagnose or prescribe in this forum however a quick search reveals:

According to the medical sources I have seen online, High Serum Ferritin is usually a symptom of disease rather than an overload of iron in the diet.
Conditions which raise Serum Ferritin include: Obesity, fatty liver, alcoholic liver disease, hepatitis B or C, overactive thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis

Depending upon the cause of the High Serum Ferritin, it may be worthwhile to just address that rather than treating the High Serum Ferritin through diet:

I hope this helps.

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Nikki365
For many of us Type 2 diabetics, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease come along just before or alongside T2 Diabetes and is corrected by a Low Carb way of eating just the same as for our T2 Diabetes.

Do you know which specific foods do you need to avoid? I was under the impression that for high ferritin you mainly have to avoid red meat and shellfish, but obviously lots of food contains iron (green leafy veg for example).

We don't (and can't) diagnose or prescribe in this forum however a quick search reveals:

According to the medical sources I have seen online, High Serum Ferritin is usually a symptom of disease rather than an overload of iron in the diet.
Conditions which raise Serum Ferritin include: Obesity, fatty liver, alcoholic liver disease, hepatitis B or C, overactive thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis

Depending upon the cause of the High Serum Ferritin, it may be worthwhile to just address that rather than treating the High Serum Ferritin through diet:

I hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply, I’m scared now.. worrying!

there was another high level on

Serum C reactive protein.​

Which I’ve looked up as inflammation.

I have had this high markers since December last year but none of the doctors I see have done anything.
I also have serum cholesterol of 6.2 normal normal range 5.5
Plus my hbac1 52 plasma glucose 13
I do have diverticulitis disease and constant pain left hand lower side.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Lots of people have inflammation, it is thought that most Type 2's have inflammation due to Insulin Resistance, so reducing the carbohydrates may reduce the inflammation.
An HbA1C of 52 is Diabetic, but only just - so something to take action on rather than something to worry about.

A (total) serum cholesterol number imho is meaningless. Though the various lipid fractions are meaningful.
For example if one's total cholesterol is raised due to a high HDL, then that's unlikely to be a problem.
Neither is a high LDL while in the weight reduction phase of a Low Carb way of eating because all the LDL in those fat cells is being emptied through the bloodstream so it will most likely drop when the weight stabilises at a lower healthy level.

Many forum members have diverticular disease and find that a low carb way of eating reduces/eliminates their bouts of diverticulitis.
Tagging @lovinglife here.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @ianf0ster - sorry to post and run @Nikki365 but I’m literally going out the door to a family thing for a few hours, I will answer your post about diverticula disease some time this evening when I’m back, didn’t want to read and run. Just a quick note to say low carb and keto (which I do now) did wonders for my diverticula disease- will fill you in later :)

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much, that has put my mind at ease.. I’m looking around for low carb but don’t want foods that require a lot of prep and need a low budget end..

I do have a busy life style working full time and family.. so time is of the essence.

At the moment I’m just thinking meat and veg which isn’t inspiring ☹️ I struggle with what to eat for breakfast, I don’t eat cereals which isn’t a bad thing, too many eggs bind me up and then struggle going to the loo.

Any recommendations for low carb diet recipes links that are easy. Thank you

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe high iron can be a symptom of Haemochromatosis. My husband has it, he wishes he'd known when he was young, as becoming a blood donor would have reduced the inflammation it causes. As we get older the iron becomes toxic or rusty in our organs, it settles in the organs like sediment. My husband discovered he had it through his sister being diagnosed with non-alcoholic liver disease, he and his sister (it is heredity mainly through Celtic ancestors) had to go through months of venesection to remove blood, which of course removes iron, no other intervention is necessary - bit like in the old days when doctors used to blood let.

If I were you I'd ask to be checked for haemochromatosis before you get older and complications happen. Haemochromatosis is also called 'Bronze Diabetes' due to a tinge of brown in the patients skin.

Haemochromatosis isn't terrible by itself, but if left unchecked it can lead to many nasties.

BTW I've lost count how many doctors, and indeed hospital consultants we've spoken to that hadn't a clue about haemochromatosis.

Ferritin levels above 300 ng/mL in males or above 200 ng/mL in females support a diagnosis of hemochromatosis. However, ferritin levels can also be increased by disorders other than hemochromatosis. Only a small number of people with high ferritin actually have hemochromatosis.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again @Nikki365,

I’ve just noticed you asked about diverticula disease on another thread of yours a couple of weeks ago and I replied, in case you missed my reply I’ve copied the link here for you :)

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, this is new to me I was only diagnosed with diverticulitis in July, I really have problems with bowel movements and certain food makes it worse, have to be careful with how many eggs. I’m having attack at present, constant pain left lower tummy.. no doctors have helped with this, I wonder how they will help with the diabetes and medication.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, this is new to me I was only diagnosed with diverticulitis in July, I really have problems with bowel movements and certain food makes it worse, have to be careful with how many eggs. I’m having attack at present, constant pain left lower tummy.. no doctors have helped with this, I wonder how they will help with the diabetes and medication.
I used to have this, I thought it was aggravated by either lactose or fats, but it turns out after going low carb and cutting out all grains, that I've not had an attack since t2 diagnosis..
Also I've never seen a doctor or other medic since diagnosis (initially because of lockdown) but now because I know I can control my own health with them, and without medication
My fibre comes from green leafy veg and seeds. I eat upto 4 eggs 2 or 3 times a week as they are low carb and relatively cheap.
I understand you are in shock and some denial, but do read the advice you are being given.
Everywhere is in the same boat and only wants to help

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I have an attack I still low carb but go very bland, scrambled eggs are fine or a lightly cooke omelette, don’t have hard boiled though as they are harder to digest I agree, plain white fish or salmon, plain chicken, mashed cauliflower with butter, full fat Greek yogurt, smashed avocado,

It may be worth doing a clear broth fast for a day or so if you are in a lot of pain, so clear bone broth, chicken broth plenty of water, sugar free jelly, weak sugar free squash, then introduce some of the foods I’ve mentioned above until you feel better.

It’s a good few years since I’ve had a flare up but in the past if I had the steady pain it already meant I had an infection and needed antibiotics from the GP along with the bland diet. If it was just a twinge now and then I would do the broth thing for 24 hrs and it usually went away.

Diet Doctor have some good advice on low carb/keto and diverticula disease

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to have this, I thought it was aggravated by either lactose or fats, but it turns out after going low carb and cutting out all grains, that I've not had an attack since t2 diagnosis..
Also I've never seen a doctor or other medic since diagnosis (initially because of lockdown) but now because I know I can control my own health with them, and without medication
My fibre comes from green leafy veg and seeds. I eat upto 4 eggs 2 or 3 times a week as they are low carb and relatively cheap.
I understand you are in shock and some denial, but do read the advice you are being given.
Everywhere is in the same boat and only wants to help
I find breads like granary and seeds, nuts make it worse as well.. I’m trying to research as much as I can and see what foods I can tolerate.. as well as keeping sugar low, might be best to keep a diary.
If I can get a appointment with doctors as I will need antibiotics, each time I get through all appointments are gone… it took me 3 weeks to see a doctor to get the most recent blood test.
I’m having to do as much as i can myself as I don’t know when I’ll see a doctor next.
Frustrating.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say you have problems with bowel movements do you mean you struggle to go? I apologise now if this “is too much information” I go like clockwork every morning about 30 minutes after getting up and often again in the evening.

Very occasionally I find I don’t go. For me personally I’ve learnt that this is because I haven’t had enough fluids the day before. If this happens and I don’t go for 24hrs I then take a mild senna before bed, this usually works to get me moving again. I never let myself go longer than 24hrs without taking the sennakot so that I don’t get infection problems etc.

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nikki365
Listen to episode 174 of this podcast. Only 20 mjnutes long. Think you'll find it fascinating.
Note , at time of typing I'm listening to it live and it hasn't yet been added to the list on their website. Might take a day or 2 for them to upload it.

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you say you have problems with bowel movements do you mean you struggle to go? I apologise now if this “is too much information” I go like clockwork every morning about 30 minutes after getting up and often again in the evening.

Very occasionally I find I don’t go. For me personally I’ve learnt that this is because I haven’t had enough fluids the day before. If this happens and I don’t go for 24hrs I then take a mild senna before bed, this usually works to get me moving again. I never let myself go longer than 24hrs without taking the sennakot so that I don’t get infection problems etc.
Senna makes it worse for me, I get severe cramping and makes me gassy.. also I find buscipan makes it worse.

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your comments, I don’t get emails when someone replies, so I’m not ignoring you, when I get home from work I will get a chance to read through. I am finding hard to know what to eat, I have a flare up due to diverticulitis right now, I’ve been put back on 2 x antibiotics. They told me to keep diet low fibre..
I am finding web search very conflicting with evidence and what is best to eat.
I have seen a lot of replies above with what they eat to help..

I am a beginner here, high blood sugar levels and diverticulitis.
My doctor said, to go on liquid diet, is that just water??
I’m getting overwhelmed. I need a list of not to eat.

I have appointment with diabetes nurse but not till 17th nov.

I’m going to run through all replies to take notes

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Senna makes it worse for me, I get severe cramping and makes me gassy.. also I find buscipan makes it worse.
I don’t take it when I have the actual diverticulitis, that would cause pain and gas and discomfort, only take it when I’ve missed the loo so no symptoms just being preemptive.

Liquid diet, liquidised soups, broths, sugar free jelly, creamed Cauliflower, lightly scrambled egg. If you feel like fasting you can even not eat and just have water, black tea and coffee, keep an eye on you BG

Last time when I had a really bad attack quite a few years ago I was in hospital for a couple of days on antibiotics in a drip and they gave me bovril and chicken broth and sugar free jelly and weak sugar free squash - mind you I felt so rotten I didn’t feel like eating, also got me to walk about and stretch out flat on the bed to get things “moving” once that happened I started to feel better

• Friendly
Reactions: Nikki365