Donner Kebab!?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Authentic donner should only be meat and spices, but lts have flour or breadcrumbs as binding agents.

As @bulkbiker suggested, ask the takeaway if there's any in theirs.

Reactions: Jayden2407

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you plan to eat it with the bread and sugary sauces, I wouldn't for now worry about the carbs in the meat. If you plan to eat it without the bread I would eat first and test a lot after and correct if necessary. That way you'll know what to expect next time and do it better.
Bon appetite!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The last time I had a donner was over 20 years ago when I was first dating my wife; I was living with a friend who's flat was 30 seconds away from a take away. Anyway my now wife reminded me this is reconstructed meats from all sorts and reheated time and again with house flys in the vicinity. That's why I never had another even with at the time the thought of chilli sauce. Still want one.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
< coughs> in the last 6 months I've had 2 nights out with the lads and ended up in a local takeaway. Both times I had a donner wit salad no bread. One spiked me at over 8 the other 6.5. I assume it was filling which did it. TBH they were great a nice treat but not something I would eat on a regular basis.
Both ocassions I had been drinking wine, no more than 3 large glasses.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, are there carbs in donner meat??
Thinking about it a lamb or chicken shish would probably be far better unless your donor is one with visible slices of meat rather than a sausage like appearance.
Doner-2535766.jpg

So something like the picture

Jayden2407

Thank you all for your reply’s the donner wasn’t for me, i don’t eat it, i much prefer shish! it was for my son, diagnosed type 1 4 weeks ago. My partner decided he wanted a takeaway after getting home from work late. My son already had tea but I knew he’d want some donner meat as he loves it and hasn’t had any since diagnosis.. He doesn’t have anything with it - just the meat.
Anyway after thinking about it I didn’t want to run any risks as yesterday he had the best day with his BG levels so far keeping well within his range (we even high fived )
Soooo I took him up a treat/snack of honey roast ham and pepperami which he was quite happy with (playing happily on his PlayStation)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
unless your donor is one with visible slices of meat rather than a sausage like appearance.
A donor with visible slices of meat sounds just, eh, wrong. I'm not one to nag people about typo's, but this one just made too many disturbing and laughable pictures in my brain to not mention it :p Especially on a forum about a medical condition!

Jayden2407

A donor with visible slices of meat sounds just, eh, wrong. I'm not one to nag people about typo's, but this one just made too many disturbing and laughable pictures in my brain to not mention it :p Especially on a forum about a medical condition!

Reactions: Antje77

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha well spotted.. missed that one completely!

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat the occasional Doner, they don't seem to spike me at all - I don't eat the bread but do have the home made chilli sauce, not the stuff in the squeezy bottle that they all seem to have now.

I think I'm right in saying it is says "Doner" on the menu it can be made from various meats but if it's posted as "Lamb Doner" then it must contain only that. Most take aways buy them in now but I had a mate that owned a Greek restaurant and made his own - I got to watch once and it was wonderful and nothing went in that concerned me. There are various stories on the net about then looking to ban them due to high levels of phosphates.

Jayden2407

I eat the occasional Doner, they don't seem to spike me at all - I don't eat the bread but do have the home made chilli sauce, not the stuff in the squeezy bottle that they all seem to have now.

I think I'm right in saying it is says "Doner" on the menu it can be made from various meats but if it's posted as "Lamb Doner" then it must contain only that. Most take aways buy them in now but I had a mate that owned a Greek restaurant and made his own - I got to watch once and it was wonderful and nothing went in that concerned me. There are various stories on the net about then looking to ban them due to high levels of phosphates.

Thank you.

Yes I suppose they may put different things in from different takeaway shops.. it would only ever be the meat, no bread of sauce and it was for my son - he loves a good tray of donner meat! :)