don't ask no idea !!!!

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
i made a pot of soup the other day carrot, potatoe,turnip,leek, lamb stock.had a bowl my reading 2 hours later 5.1 i thought
something wrong so checked again 5.2 so must be right i had another bowl the following day done my reading 2 hours later
4.9 then again just incase 5.0 so what happened any ideas ? delighted but strange

Reactions: Prem51
A

asparagusp

Fantastic bigjim! Having the same soup later? Seriously what are your post prandial levels normally?

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Your soup sounds lovely! This is one of the strange and lovely results of changing your diet. OK, you have carrots and potatoes in it that can cause spikes in some people, but you're one of the lucky ones!

It feels so good when you hit upon a recipe/food combination that you enjoy that works for you.

Reactions: Prem51

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fantastic bigjim! Having the same soup later? Seriously what are your post prandial levels normally?
normally between 6.8 and 7.8 after the 2 hours

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Following your post I am going to go back to making my home made soup - I stopped because I made it with onion and carrot and was told not to use root veg, but if my readings stay low then that sorts out my lunches at work during the winter months - cannot tolerate tinned soups - that much I do know.
So thank you for posting

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You can only try if it works great if not you move on

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
i made a pot of soup the other day carrot, potatoe,turnip,leek, lamb stock.had a bowl my reading 2 hours later 5.1 i thought
something wrong so checked again 5.2 so must be right i had another bowl the following day done my reading 2 hours later
4.9 then again just incase 5.0 so what happened any ideas ? delighted but strange
Reheated potato doesn't spike me either. :)

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Brilliant results .... I love a big bowl of soup - I will see if I can make something this weekend ... just in time for the cold weaher ....

Well done :) ... its all so trial and error

Reactions: SWUSA_

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lovly! Experts always had problems trying to make general recommendations about diabetes and diet.
Enlightened trial of a motivated patient outperforms their general advices.
I would like to try your soup !

Reactions: SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.

I think you have found a soup that works for you! I would definitely put it into my menu rotation.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's quite impressive!! I'd agree with @Squire Fulwood that it would be interesting to know what your levels are after an hour next time as well? (And tell us what your pre soup readings are too as a starting point.)

Robbity

Robbity

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
With any new food or recipe, check bg before eating and again 2 hours later.

This is eating to your meter and will tell each individual what they can tolerate.

I love home made soup but have to forego the potato although I can use swede and carrot.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might want to do a bit of research on Resistant Starch.
Basically some people find that certain types of starch have less of an effect on blood glucose if they have been cooked and cooled, and reheated. Presumably this is what has happened with the potato in your soup?

Some people also find it works with pasta, and eat it after it has cooked, cooled and been reheated.

But from what I have read, it is a very personal reaction, and a lot still depends on portion size, and type of starch. (and some people just don't seem to notice a benefit - there are always some, eh? ;) )

Hope that helps.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's quite impressive!! I'd agree with @Squire Fulwood that it would be interesting to know what your levels are after an hour next time as well? (And tell us what your pre soup readings are too as a starting point.)

Robbity

Robbity
the pre food reading was taken about 3 hours before i had the soup (it was still cooking at the time) but it was 6.0
so i'm going to make the soup again this weekend because i still find it strange that the readings were that low
and rather than wait a few weeks to make it again and find out i'll do it this week

Reactions: Salvia

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK so when you do "Reply" to this and I will get a notification.
good day it's a cold one and what better to warm up with a bowl of homemade soup as promised and was asked to
give my bs readings 1 hour after as well as 2 hours after
10am was 6.1
1.15 pm before soup 5.8
at 2.20 pm 6.0
at 3.20 pm 5.3
so there we go i'm very happy with those figures and hope it will encourage others to try
foods that they have been told not to eat just to see if you can eat it or not who knows it's worth a try.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good day it's a cold one and what better to warm up with a bowl of homemade soup as promised and was asked to
give my bs readings 1 hour after as well as 2 hours after
10am was 6.1
1.15 pm before soup 5.8
at 2.20 pm 6.0
at 3.20 pm 5.3
so there we go i'm very happy with those figures and hope it will encourage others to try
foods that they have been told not to eat just to see if you can eat it or not who knows it's worth a try.
Received and understood. Nice one.