Don't Fall For These 7 Diabetes Myths

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From @vic's prifile page

a university student and a first born surrounded by a diabetic sister and a granddad. my sister just got diabetes type 2. I am so passionate with them likely treating my self as one among them. I hope i can get updates about diabetes in this forum and assist them too in their journey with diabetes. Don't mind my posts sometimes, correct me if possible.

vic's

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
everything untrue about diabetes
From @vic's prifile page

a university student and a first born surrounded by a diabetic sister and a granddad. my sister just got diabetes type 2. I am so passionate with them likely treating my self as one among them. I hope i can get updates about diabetes in this forum and assist them too in their journey with diabetes. Don't mind my posts sometimes, correct me if possible.
thank you pal

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be best to ask what we think if it’s a discussion you want and to expand your knowledge. Your original post came across as telling us “facts” instead

My quick responses in regards to :-

Myth #1: Taking Insulin Means You Have The "Bad" Diabetes
Bad diabetes is uncontrolled diabetes - yep
In respect of type 2 you completely omit the diet control. This importantly doesn’t have the complications expectations that even diabetes controlled by medication does. Underlying the poor bgl is insulin resistance and hyperinsulemia and medication doesn’t tend to address this whereas low carb diet does. Hyperinsulemia and IR cause their own damage and issues

Myth #2: Being Overweight Means You Have Or Will Have diabetes
Again a type 2 statement in the explanation you give. Weight gain is common as a result of insulin resistance and hyperinsulemia and viseral fat adds to theses issues. A circular argument. Extra weight associated with diabetes is not the same as causing it necessarily.

Myth #3: If You Have Diabetes, Then You Cannot Eat Sugary Foods
Many who test their blood glucose levels of both main in types will attest to the fact that different carbs g for g have different effects and speed of effect. So these claims are just wrong. Eating sugar for a type 2 has no benefits beyond pleasure (?) and hypo treatment only downsides

Myth #7: If You Have Type 2 Diabetes And Your Doctor Says You Need To Start Using Insulin, You're Not Taking Care Of Your Diabetes Properly

This attitude of medication as the only treatment for type 2 is why it is seen as progressive. Medication doesn’t address the underlying cause only the symptoms. The reason medications progressively fail is because insulin resistance gets worse as long as you don’t address it and medication generally doesn’t. Type 2 begins and for many many years is a condition of too much insulin that cannot be utilised properly. Adding more does temporarily overcome the symptom of high glucose levels and give the appearance of solving the issue but it adds to the resistance thus making the problem ever worse. Eventually the pancreas can indeed become “exhausted” after years of over production and cease making (enough) insulin and to be taking it exogenously is only then actually required. This can in many cases be avoided by addressing the root cause earlier and reducing resistance and not creating a large demand for insulin by not eating as many carbs! Drs are only just waking up to this simple realit. And much of the literature, such as the article you quoted, are quite frankly simply old fashioned and outdated.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Does being female prohibit you from being a Pen-Pal? :)