1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Don't Fall For These 7 Diabetes Myths

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by vic's, May 22, 2020.

1. vic's

vic's Don't have diabetes · Member

Myth #1: Taking Insulin Means You Have The "Bad" Diabetes
    Truth: Bad diabetes is uncontrolled diabetes, whether someone takes insulin or diabetes pills. It is the high blood sugars over time that leads to the diabetic complications such as blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, strokes, etc. Whether you are taking pills, insulin or a combination of the two, but your blood sugar levels are consistently high, talk to your diabetes doctor or healthcare provider to develop strategies to reduce your blood sugar levels, and your chances of complications.
    Myth #2: Being Overweight Means You Have Or Will Have diabetes
    Truth: Extra weight does not cause diabetes, however extra weight can increase the chances of developing diabetes. There are many people that are overweight and do not have diabetes.
    Myth #3: If You Have Diabetes, Then You Cannot Eat Sugary Foods
    Truth: Research has shown that when grams of carbohydrate are equal, the source of carbohydrate, sugar versus starch, is not the major factor in determining the effect of the food on blood glucose levels. When consumed in a mixed meal, sugar does not produce a more rapid rise or higher peak in blood glucose levels than other starches or carbohydrates.
    Myth #4: People With Diabetes Are More Likely To Get Colds And Other Illnesses
    Truth: You are no more likely to get a cold or another illness if you have diabetes. However, people with diabetes are advised to get flu shots. This is because any illness can make diabetes more difficult to control, and people with diabetes who do get the flu are more likely than others to go on to develop serious complications.
    Myth #5: Diabetes Is Not That Serious Of A Disease
    Truth: Diabetes causes more deaths a year than breast cancer and AIDS combined. Having diabetes nearly doubles your chance of having a heart attack. The good news is that good diabetes control can reduce your risk of complications.
    Myth #6: Diabetes Is Always Easy To Control
    Truth: Diabetes is a complex disease due to disturbed stable blood sugar. Stable blood sugar levels are related to much more than just what and when someone eats. A person with diabetes that is trying to take care of the diabetes cannot always control factors such as stress or illness.
    Myth #7: If You Have Type 2 Diabetes And Your Doctor Says You Need To Start Using Insulin, You're Not Taking Care Of Your Diabetes Properly
    Truth: Often type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease. Over time the pancreas makes less and less insulin and the diabetes medications alone can no longer keep the blood sugars at a good level. Taking insulin to keep the blood sugars levels healthy is a good thing, not a bad thing.

what are the other myths you have heard so far?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

I would take serious issue with some comments .. where'd you source this?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #2 Mike d, May 22, 2020 at 1:58 AM
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  3. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@vic's There’s a fair few myths and half truths and partial misleading explanations mixed up in your post too......

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Speaking of myths.... #3 is a real gem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in knowing your expertise or experience. Don't know that I agree with them all. Happy to read what ever source you obtained these 'facts' from but in addition would like to know your experience. Are you saying this is true of all types of diabetes? There is enough misinformation and prejudice around without spreading more. Myth 7= where do you get the idea that type 2 is necessarily a progressive illness? There is more but not sure whether you actually believe what you have written or trying to wind us up.

6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Honey, there's so much wrong in here, I don't even know where to start. But hope you're well and enjoying the forum!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Until we know the source .... but that one above all was fiction on a grand scale. I can't be any kinder than that @Tophat1900

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

And of course there is so much right in there many of those statements I would agree with and not dispute but some points I would be less inclined to subscribe to.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. vic's

@Geordie_P has the source site. I cant because i am a new member and the system thinks its a spam message.

12. vic's

I got this from the net and so i thought i should share it. a lot of misleading information occur on the internet...here we break it down to right conclusions. isnt it?

13. vic's

lets talk about it, it is over the internet and literally @Geordie_P has offered the link of the site.

14. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Doesn't change my opinion vic ... but for future reference, maybe you should mention / assign the source in the first instance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve heard a lot of these myths in the 50 odd years since I was diagnosed with T1, and yes, a lot of them need exploding.
    I used to get very fed up when people didn’t realise that carbohydrate came in many shapes and forms; I often wonder which is the ‘bad’ diabetes people talked about; I used to ignore those who told me ‘you can’t eat that’, and I’d calmly inject what I hoped was the appropriate amount of insulin, and I’m still fed up with people who think that bringing a cold with them when they visit is ok because ‘it’s only a cold’ - they won’t be spending the time juggling insulin for infection-raised blood sugars!
    I think the main problem is that the term ‘diabetes’ is used for two conditions that are not, fundamentally, the same thing. This isn’t the fault of the poster: it’s a historical problem.
    And folk, be kind! Please!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. vic's

i will mike

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

No worries ... whatsoever :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Can I ask why you thought it a good idea to post that as a non diabetic new joiner to a forum?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. vic's

Have you ever thought of discussing the myths and come up with right conclusions? i am sure you have friends also who are non diabetic and come up with things such as my post. Do you ask them the same as you did to me?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @vic's It would be helpful if you could explain your interest in diabetes please so we can understand more about what your looking to get from your membership here on the forum ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook