Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

C

catherinecherub

I know that some Type 2's have a hard time because they think that because they are overweight that they brought this on themselves. I read one post here where the person thought that they were being punished for the sin of gluttony. :( :(
Stop being so hard on yourselves and don't fall into the trap that the media and uneducated people would like us to be in. It is not your fault and if you want to avoid the depression that often accompanies a diagnosis then you have to think positively about this chronic condition. Whether there is something you could have done earlier or not really does not matter now. You have this condition and you are not going to let it beat you. It is a hurdle that has been put into your path that you are going to jump over. If you decide to do all that you can to manage this condition there will be no place for blame and you will not be a victim but a survivor who can show others that there is a way forward.

I decided early on that diabetes may beat me but it won't be for lack of trying to master it and that is all that anyone can do, tame this beast to the best of your ability. Your HCP's may be the best or the worst that exist but they are not with you 24/7 and whether they are negative or positive in their care, you do all the hard work and they only see your results from the tests that they order. This is your baby and you are the one who looks after it.

A couple of articles here,

How to combat the stigma of Type 2 diabetes.
http://www.health.com/health/condition- ... _1,00.html
(Makes me sad to think this title would even have to exist).

Type 2 Diabetes. From old dogmas to new realities.
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011 ... ealities-/
(This article explains that you may have been diabetic for years prior to diagnosis)

I really do hope that this will help some Type 2's move forward. We took a hard knock this week with the advertising campaign from Lloyds and we will be in the news again soon over another article that will surface but our revenge is to manage our diabetes to the best of our ability and let the ignorant people think what they like because one day some of them or their loved ones may walk in our shoes and then the reality of having Type 2 diabetes will hit them hard.

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
I echo ClaireG 06, nicely said catherinecherub. Still dont get this stigma attached to T'2s , I am 6ft and weigh 14st 10lb ( and falling ) I have a slight " beer belly " but I would in no way say I was Obese, or that I had done this to myself by eating wrongly. How wrong can some people be ?

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Despite always being active I've always been big-not overly so but nevertheless a big lad. Anyway, diabetes is now a positive thing for me as I'm having to be healthy, lost a stone already, looking better for it (I love the compliments I get for it) and next badminton season I'm going to be fitter so will win even more games!

sparkles

Great post Catherinecherub!
Ultimately, Diabetes is something you have to take note of and engage with whether you want to or not and regardless of how or why it visited you. I know that.
I don’t know the Lloyds advertising campaign but will keep an eye open for it.
Love the positivity Gappy!
Sparkles.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, like that post catherine cherub its MY baby n I am looking after her. I am tiny and even worse I have been demoralised preached at n bulldozed n bullied by an DSN [that has to be worse than a joe public saying something negative to me ] I did end up thinking there was something about me that she didnt like! it bothered n stressed me loads . Now am the one with attitude! am refusing to let her treat me ever again n will insist on better patient care via her team leader, its my patient charter right to be treated with ; respect,confidentiality,choice,independence,rights,dignity. With diabetes one size fits all !!!! whether we are tiny, small, medium,large, etc diabetes picks us we dont pick it! [diabetes] n the joe publics n world over need to hear this and accept us all without the label of obesity ONLY equals diabetes. Anna.x :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Catherine

Thanks for that post - very good for morale, and I will read your links very thoroughly when I have more time. It's easy to feel guilty, particularly when the entire medical profession and all the thin people seem to despise one for being fat. We need to step back occasionally, look at the positives, and stop blaming ourselves.

Viv 8)

susanmanley

I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and was feeling pretty low about it all and felt I was to blame for my own problems.
I spoke to my doctor yesterday and she was very reassuring that it WAS NOT my fault but rather to do with my pancretitus and she also said that as the pancreas is an organ like all others it does naturally loose some efficency over time and that probably if we lived long enough everyone would have insulin reduction/diabetis.
Once that terrible feeling of guilt was lifted I was able to think about the problem more clearly and logically
Also all the assistance and chat on this site has helped a lot

thank you

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thank you, Susan, for resurrecting this thread. It is such a positive and helpful OP from Catherinecherub that it is worthy of being made a Sticky Thread for all newly-diagnosed Type 2s to be guided to when they are welcomed.

Could a link to it not be added to Daisy1's greeting Information post?

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have forwarded these ideas to Admin.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Great post Catherinecherub and well said!!
Personally I don't care what anybody thinks as to why I have it, No one starts out wanting this, and being overweight or Portly as I like to say should not be another reason why others should stand on the moral high ground. I never thought of my self as big but my BMI said I was, and my Doctor! but then he was the one who said packing in smoking will solve all my problems and he blamed that for every ailment I went in to see him about, he was a bit stumped when I quit 30 months ago, but that was when the pounds crept up, at least now I have this he will have another excuse for anything else that goes wrong?? Bless him.

Reactions: paracelsus53

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Did anyone last night watch the BBC 2 doc. "The Men Who Made us Fat"? It's made very clear that the food industry is responsible for all the **** that goes into especially processed which has a direct impact on our blood glucous, and the vicous circle of eating because of becoming addicted to sugar.

Although I didn't learn all that much that was new last night , it was good to get the information comfirmed. And one Dr. was very insistant that the individual is not to blame.

There are 2 more programs to go, so hopefully, I'll learn some new stuff.

One thing for me which I felt was crimimal was that theWHO was prevented from releasing a report on how sugar, or corn syrhip was really damaging by being told that their funding would be pulled. Makes me wonder what chance has the little guy got.

SweetHeart

Whilst things are being forwarded to Admin......Please PLEASE can we have a 'Like' button, if possible, so that we can put excellent posts like Catherine's right up there?

Ju

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have forwarded your suggestion to Admin.

Reactions: 992947x

Spiral

Just found this post, so glad to see it being discussed because the media is full of blame.

Shortly after diagnosis, when i was feeling really down about it, I found Blood Sugar 101 which helped me understand diabetes and I found a page on the front page there called "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes. The REAL Causes." stopped me feeling so bad about it.

I hope links are allowed, if not and the link below is deactivated, message me and I will send you the link. This isn't a commercial link, all the info is free.
www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

Unbeliever

SweetHeart said:
Whilst things are being forwarded to Admin......Please PLEASE can we have a 'Like' button, if possible, so that we can put excellent posts like Catherine's right up there?

Ju

catherinecherub is the author of many excellent posts and has provided many invaluable links. I have been missing her calm and measured input and hoping that she would find the ime to post more frequently.

Time and time again we see her posts from the past being revived by new posters which proves how relevant they remain.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Unbeliever said:
SweetHeart said:

Ju

catherinecherub is the author of many excellent posts and has provided many invaluable links. I have been missing her calm and measured input and hoping that she would find the ime to post more frequently.

Time and time again we see her posts from the past being revived by new posters which proves how relevant they remain.

Well said! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Viv 8)