Dont understand!!!!??

blackcat79

Hi
Can someone explain or help me please?
Why is it when i eat healthy not many carbs my BS go high but when i eat a sweet waffle with toffee sauce think cream n banana after a cavery meal its in single figures! More cabs n sugar lower BS 2 hrs after yet higher when healthy. Strange. Im on met 1000mg a day juvanin 100mg a day n glimperide 2mg a day. Also if i dont eat for many hours during the day i get lower around 4.4-7.4 them eat n it goes up to 11.5-14.5 range. Fasting 8.8-12 range. Its all very confussing!
Any thoughts most welcome n thanks
Sue
X

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I `m surprised no one else has answered but this is what I have learned on a Dafne type course and found out for myself when out for meals ...
The confusing result is probably due to the fairly high fat content in the meal which will slow down the digestion of the meal. I'm type 1 and if I have a very high fat evening meal I will be in range at bedtime but high when I wake up and for most of the following morning due to slow breakdown. ( have to spread my bolus out through the meal and after to manage as best I can )
A healthy meal will be normally be digested in much less than 4 hours .. and hence the spike around 2 hours later.
Another annoying thing is when you fast and then eat, your body digests this meal far quicker than normal and hence a higher spike and so it takes longer for the levels to drop back down.

Tiggertonia

Cuz it depends want it a salad!?'?apple have carbs in and sweetcorn and banana and salad dressing which I did not know a few months back so I think it mite be wroth getting carb and cal book off net or waterstone is will help stop high sugar after meal and with fatty food like fryed food wait 30 min before injecting xxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blackcat79

Well i so dont get it! Havent taken meds for a few days to give tummy a rest n thought BS would go mad but no its all very odd. Had mircowave tea of 71g carbs n BS r 7.4!!! Yet b4 n while on meds i would have bn at 15-24! Come glimperiride kick started my pancras into action as reading now seem to b much lower than ever n av is around 8-11 yet 2 weeks ago it was 14-18. Ive even upped my carbs from 70g a day to 130-150g a day. Im on low fat due to no gallbladder so its not the fat slowing it down. Mayb the meds short term r the way who nos but its all very odd! Im confuessed!
Sue

Finzi

Very strange!

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
All I can suggest, Sue, is that you keep monitoring yourself and maybe keep a food diary with your readings 2 hours after.

I don't understand what's happening with your BGs either, but there are more than two Types of diabetes and it may be that you have been wrongly diagnosed. I know, for instance, that Type 1s sometimes get a "Honeymoon Period" when their failing pancreases put on a last effort and behave perfectly before giving up altogether. So please, keep monitoring. :D

And go back to your HCP to discuss it in more detail.

Viv 8)

blackcat79

I do keep a food diary thats how i know that less carbs higher BS etc. Ive just had blood tests done 2 see what type i am waitinh on results. Im on 3 pill treatment yet BS r still not right hence DN has ordered tests. Its just very strange. Hopefully get answers soon so it will come clearer. Thanks
Sue

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear you are having some blood tests done. I would be suspicious of the type 2 diagnosis as you sound very much like I was before I was re-diagnosed as type 1.
It may be that your liver is over compensating for the lack of glucose when you don't eat many carbs and kicks out a load of glucagon for your body to use instead. I think it works something like that, my DSN said that could be the case with me when I eat very little carbs as as still need some insulin bolus. Obviously before I started the insulin it began putting my levels through the roof whereas a carby meal would go up high and then gradually try and come down again.

Hope you get sorted soon.
Regards
Angie