Don't want to give up my toast for breakfast, but...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think you might have got the wrong end of the stick here Robbity - I don't think that was what the poster was trying to convey...
I think you'll need to be a bit more explicit as quoting my complete post doesn't identify either which poster or which point you're referring to?

Robbity

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The idea of the cream can, for many, be shown to slow or even halt the rise during the morning, without a more traditional breakfast. Black coffee gives you nothing to help with that, and in fact, for some people the impact of the caffeinne encourages them to dump more glucose, due to their bodies being further stimulate, so that may get you over any peckishness, but it may not be kind on the numbers on your meter screen.

Fingers crossed for you.
Oh lordy, always something new to learn LOL!! I did not know that. Will definitely re-think the cream. Thank you :)

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I do love toast- and more particularly Jam. Unfortunately/Fortunately, I live with a domestic goddess and she makes the best ever jams and marmalades. I normally eat Greek yoghurt with nuts and seeds during the week, but allow myself toast at the weekend if closely followed by a major bike ride or run at the gym. I can have about 3 pieces of toast and jam to round off brunch, and if I'm out on the bike or on the treadmill within about an hour I find I don't go up over a couple of points.

I now almost always have the Burgen bread though, but although it's got more carbs, I find that I can 2 slices of Vogels bread and it also doesn't spike too much - possibly because it's very low GI, but they don't publish any figures, it's certainly got huge chunks of grain which is why I like it. If I'm feeling very virtuous, I'll have peanut butter instead of jam.

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@asparagusp milk may be full of nutrients but it still has carbs in it so its better if you can do without it.

A

asparagusp

As you grow less young you need calcium. I don't eat meat so I need an alternative source of protein. I'm slim. Everything in moderation! Anyway at the moment my blood sugar numbers are good with around 50 carbohydrates daily. Milk contains 12 gms carbohydrates per cup.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing LCHF for a few months now and doing really well on it (in general). I've continued to eat toast for breakfast (Hovis Granary - carbs total 40g for 2 slices, that's for thick sliced which my hubby likes. I've told him I'm going to get thin sliced from now on, so the carbs will be less, but we need to eat up the thick sliced first - sorry TMI!!!) and it tends to put my blood sugar levels up between 1.8 and 2 points two hours after eating. Which I'm more than happy with if my fasting bloods are low, but generally they're not. Yesterday it was 6.9, today 7.5, which means that 2 hours after eating the toast my bsl yesterday was 8.8 and today 9.4

I have quite happily given up all other carbs - potatoes, fruit etc - but I really, really, really don't want to give up my morning routine of toast & coffee (black coffee from today, as I found out yesterday that milk has sugar in it!). If I can get my fasting bloods down I'll be able to eat toast with a clear conscience, but as it is, I just feel miserable. I can't stomach the thought of having anything else for breakfast, so the big issue is.....how to get my fasting bloods lower?

In another thread someone mentioned that the Propranolol I take for anxiety could possibly put my bsl up. I don't know if I'll be able to come off of them - but I'm going to start with not taking my bedtime pill tonight (I looked at the med pack & it says "One table to be taken three times a day as needed". I'm under a fair bit of stress at the moment, so took a pill this morning, but will see how I get on with not taking my second pill tonight (I rarely take 3 in a day).

I know some of you will think I'm being stubborn by not changing my eating habits, but I really don't want to give up this one thing that gives me so much comfort! Also, I hate cooking & if I did have a cooked breakfast it would take much longer to prepare than the toast, and when I put off eating breakfast earlier this week as my fasting blood was 8.0, it shot up to 9.9 after I'd had a shower. Someone told me that I need to eat as soon as I get up so that the liver dump from overnight fasting will have something to work with - I'm so confused!!

I know there are other options for breakfast, but as I said before, I don't think I can stomach anything other than plain toast.

Please, any suggestions? Thanks

Forgive me if already mentioned but have you tried LivLife bread? 2 slices = 7.8g carbs, with some nice butter it is super tasty. The slices are small but personally I enjoy it and it tastes like bread.

Reactions: BeadieJay
A

asparagusp

These are all fake breads with additives and made with wheat. Try organic oatcakes. or rye bread instead.

sohailgagai

I've been doing LCHF for a few months now and doing really well on it (in general). I've continued to eat toast for breakfast (Hovis Granary - carbs total 40g for 2 slices, that's for thick sliced which my hubby likes. I've told him I'm going to get thin sliced from now on, so the carbs will be less, but we need to eat up the thick sliced first - sorry TMI!!!) and it tends to put my blood sugar levels up between 1.8 and 2 points two hours after eating. Which I'm more than happy with if my fasting bloods are low, but generally they're not. Yesterday it was 6.9, today 7.5, which means that 2 hours after eating the toast my bsl yesterday was 8.8 and today 9.4

I have quite happily given up all other carbs - potatoes, fruit etc - but I really, really, really don't want to give up my morning routine of toast & coffee (black coffee from today, as I found out yesterday that milk has sugar in it!). If I can get my fasting bloods down I'll be able to eat toast with a clear conscience, but as it is, I just feel miserable. I can't stomach the thought of having anything else for breakfast, so the big issue is.....how to get my fasting bloods lower?

In another thread someone mentioned that the Propranolol I take for anxiety could possibly put my bsl up. I don't know if I'll be able to come off of them - but I'm going to start with not taking my bedtime pill tonight (I looked at the med pack & it says "One table to be taken three times a day as needed". I'm under a fair bit of stress at the moment, so took a pill this morning, but will see how I get on with not taking my second pill tonight (I rarely take 3 in a day).

I know some of you will think I'm being stubborn by not changing my eating habits, but I really don't want to give up this one thing that gives me so much comfort! Also, I hate cooking & if I did have a cooked breakfast it would take much longer to prepare than the toast, and when I put off eating breakfast earlier this week as my fasting blood was 8.0, it shot up to 9.9 after I'd had a shower. Someone told me that I need to eat as soon as I get up so that the liver dump from overnight fasting will have something to work with - I'm so confused!!

I know there are other options for breakfast, but as I said before, I don't think I can stomach anything other than plain toast.

Please, any suggestions? Thanks
What milk have sugar????

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could add cream as it is mostly fat without sugar. I believe there are also lactose-free milks available. You could try other unsweetened "milks" like almond, coconut, etc. Or you could learn to drink tea black.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What can we drink in the morning I need atleast on cup of tea with the artificial sweetener

Try it with a dash of full fat milk and see. Some Type 2s can tolerate a small amount of milk. The only way you'll know is if you try.

We are all individuals :)

A

asparagusp

I never knew before that milk can raise blood sugar

As said above, "can" - Everybody is different. I have a cup of cocoa for breakfast made with organic semi skimmed milk. Sometimes I add nutmeg or cinnamon or cardomman.

A

asparagusp

It has 12 g of carbohydrates. I have no problem with that and I always look forward to my breakfast! It's one of the best sources of nutrients especially calcium.