Don't worry about the odd high number?

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing well on my BG readings recently. Saying I'm only four weeks since diagnosis with a BG of 20, I'm now generally 5.x to 8.x. Had a fright today getting 10.1 after lunch having been 6.9 before. Was worried because I had some homemade burgers (not made by me) that I didn't know what was in them, but still thought this was a huge jump. Not seen numbers like that in two weeks.

Back down to 6.1 before dinner, and 5.4 two hours after eating that (it was pretty well zero carb). So I'm pretty sure it was some kind of glitch. I'm pretty careful with hand washing so don't think it was contamination.

So, community, thoughts? Faulty strip? The fact I'd been working outside and got really cold hands the two hours before the post lunch reading? Or just one of those things to not worry about unless the same happens the next time my MiL sends me a food parcel?

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Been about this the same as you mate don't think it's to much to worry about only a small glitch

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over time you will realise we can't all be saints all over the time. I tried to be saintly 24/7 but it was ultimately too much. Now I am good nearly all the time - but today I'm away on holiday and have been totally bad - but in a few days my FBG will be fine, and all will be well.

Don't beat yourself up.

Reactions: Serena51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing well on my BG readings recently. Saying I'm only four weeks since diagnosis with a BG of 20, I'm now generally 5.x to 8.x. Had a fright today getting 10.1 after lunch having been 6.9 before. Was worried because I had some homemade burgers (not made by me) that I didn't know what was in them, but still thought this was a huge jump. Not seen numbers like that in two weeks.

Back down to 6.1 before dinner, and 5.4 two hours after eating that (it was pretty well zero carb). So I'm pretty sure it was some kind of glitch. I'm pretty careful with hand washing so don't think it was contamination.

So, community, thoughts? Faulty strip? The fact I'd been working outside and got really cold hands the two hours before the post lunch reading? Or just one of those things to not worry about unless the same happens the next time my MiL sends me a food parcel?

The reason for your reading could have been many fold, so worth trying the same thing another time.

Irritatingly, many burgers contain breadcrumbs, supposedly to help holding it all together. If I want something like a burger I don't have breadcrumbs or any rusk of any type in it. I just have meat, with a few spices - a bit like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/splendidly_spicy_beef_28887

I don't always use the array of spices in that recipe, but just meat, plus spices or seasoning holds together very well, provided it's treated with some respect. If you had a bun/roll/bread with your burger that could certainly have contributed.

Try it again, in the interests of your own science.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. No bread roll, bread is banned. Breadcrumbs was what I was worried about, but the fact it dropped back so fast makes me wonder if it was a real thing at all. I'm told there's probably very little breadcrumbs, but I don't do 'probably'. Can't really insist on asking for quantities as it would probably end up with people getting upset.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems most likely to be a bit of a glitch in measurement unless there was a load of bread in the burgers.
Relax, a one-off spike is no great deal, we all have them now and then. My post-dinner BG was 10.2 (6.5 before) but was due to something naughty I ate :)

Reactions: Serena51 and Freema

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lowedb. I get the odd high number but its back to normal an hour after my 2hr check so I wouldnt worry to much. Constant highs over a long period are the worry. Like others have said its hard to be 100% good 24/7.

I make my own burgers and just use egg to bind then and put some fetta cheese in them. Look for the recipe on Diet Doctor they call them patties i think.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was there any cereal/rusk inside the burger in addition to any breadcrumbs?

It was probably as true a reading as you are likely to get with any meter, but always worth washing hands again and doing a re-test in case it was a rogue strip. We all get them.

Record it and move on. No point in stressing about it.

Reactions: wiseowl_123