double figures

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all

Well I'm into my second week of double figure readings no illness all readings have been just under 20 I'm taking my meds as usual. I'm not low carb yet as waiting to go on the DAFNE course which is hopefully this month. I'm more active than I have ever been. I just don't know what's going on

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @teddybear74

I really feel for you. Wish I could do more to help, but have zero experience with insulin. I think you need to try and speak to your GP or diabetes nurse as soon as you can. It’s not good to be consistently at those levels and they should be helping you with this.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @teddybear74 Are you . able to test for ketones? (Either with blood testing strips or urine testing strips.) With levels that high you are at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis.

I agree with @Goonergal that your team should be helping you with this. Do you have an emergency number you can call for help? There is a diabetic helpline which may be useful if you can't get through to your DN or GP.

NHS Diabetes Advice Helpline for patients with insulin-treated diabetes - Health Innovation Network

Talk to someone now.

It should mostly be a question of getting your insulin right (which it clearly isn't at the moment). People vary so much in their insulin needs that it can be difficult to get the balance right.

Good luck.

ps Are you on steroid medication?

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @teddybear74 Are you . able to test for ketones? (Either with blood testing strips or urine testing strips.) With levels that high you are at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis.

I agree with @Goonergal that your team should be helping you with this. Do you have an emergency number you can call for help? There is a diabetic helpline which may be useful if you can't get through to your DN or GP.

NHS Diabetes Advice Helpline for patients with insulin-treated diabetes - Health Innovation Network

Talk to someone now.

It should mostly be a question of getting your insulin right (which it clearly isn't at the moment). People vary so much in their insulin needs that it can be difficult to get the balance right.

Good luck.

ps Are you on steroid medication?

Hi

thanks for the reply the only steroid I'm using is in my inhaler as this has been the cause for my diabetic status years ago and 2019 I was hospitalised with high sugars due to steroids. I have never really got back in to any control of my sugars from them really. my last hba1c was Jan this year and was 117 up from 106 the previous year and was lower before that. my DN says the next test should be lower in the hba1c as when we talked about that my levels were single. I just don't know why they have suddenly gone up. I have a constant headache all but niggles.

How do I test for Keytones as I only have a normal blood sugar meter which I have just tested and my levels are 17.9. DN has put my insulin up one unit a few weeks ago (insuman) but doesn't want to touch the novo rapid as yet. I'm going to email here again now hopefully she is in the surgery

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How do I test for Keytones as I only have a normal blood sugar meter which I have just tested and my levels are 17.9. DN has pit my insulin up one unit a few weeks ago (insuman) but doesn't want to touch the novo rapid as yet. I'm going to email here again now hopefully she is in the surgery

If you don't have a ketone blood testing meter you can buy urine testing strips for ketones at the chemist.

If you don't get a reply from your DN I suggest you phone the diabetic helpline, as those levels are really concerning. I'm not surprised that they are making you feel ill.

Reactions: teddybear74

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't have a ketone blood testing meter you can buy urine testing strips for ketones at the chemist.

If you don't get a reply from your DN I suggest you phone the diabetic helpline, as those levels are really concerning. I'm not surprised that they are making you feel ill.

I have the glucorx blood test meter but have never been told to test for keytones

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well a DN has called not mine and said she is leaving a message for my DN tomorrow when she is back in but they want me to stay on the same amount of meds for 6-8 weeks and not to worry about the levels as they really aren't that high. I didn't speak to her as I never heard my phone and she left a message. i have just checked again and I haven't eaten since breakfast and my level was 14.1 so has come down a bit but not a lot. I'm going to go out for a walk to get some fresh air and some low gi bread and rolls

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
well a DN has called not mine and said she is leaving a message for my DN tomorrow when she is back in but they want me to stay on the same amount of meds for 6-8 weeks and not to worry about the levels as they really aren't that high.

Well, all my advice is going through a T1 lens not a T2 one, so it's good that you've had a response from a medical professional. Unfortunately most of the insulin users who post here are T1s like me. It would be good if you could actually speak to a DN though. Good luck.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Morning all

Well I'm into my second week of double figure readings no illness all readings have been just under 20 I'm taking my meds as usual. I'm not low carb yet as waiting to go on the DAFNE course which is hopefully this month. I'm more active than I have ever been. I just don't know what's going on