Double tresiba!

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
God **** it. Always take my 13units tresiba first thing in morning which I did as usual.
Just had a mad moment at work when my fiasp pen run out, quickly replaced vial with tresiba by mistake and took 12 units.
Only noticed when I see my sugar running raging high. So quickly sorted pens out properly and dosed with fiasp.
Anyway, main worry now is the 25 total units of tresiba in my system (effectively double). Gonna be a tricky 36 hours!
How low could this send me, any advise?

holmroad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
Unnecessary obesity.
I take 8 units Tresiba 2230hrs daily and 6 units Novorapid before each of 3 meals daily, so not sure what double dose Tresiba would cause - but obviously means monitoring sugar levels more frequently for 24hrs? Keep those sweets handy!

Reactions: Zinadane

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Zinadane ,

Personally, if I was in that situation. With too much basal working.
I'd keep a close eye on the BGs snack regularly with longer acting carbs, drink wise? Milk might help BGs from dropping.
(You may find recurring hypos just hitting it with Lucozade?)

There is a possibility you may not need to bolus for your meals whilst double the amount of basal is active.

Jamie H

Did this a few days ago. And with a lot more than 13 units... Libre helped catch the lows that were about to come early on but still have a few minor hypos. Had to eat a bit more and take a bit less novorapid but my advice is not to panic. Be a lot worse if you double dosed on quick acting insulin!

Took a while to flush out as I think it stays in your system for a bit longer than 24 hours but someone more qualified may be able to correct me if I'm wrong?

Reactions: Zinadane and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've done this the other way round (bolus instead of basal) and I'd much prefer the extra basal. You're not going to go low fast, so you should catch those hypos. Personally, I'd probably subtract the extra tresiba (divide it up over its working period) from the amount of bolus you take for meals, and keep testing. Overnight, extra food and set your alarm so you don't sleep though a hypo.

Too high is better than too low.

Good luck.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4 hours in on double basal. So I think that's full effect on tresiba. Hanging in there with careful monitoring. What a pain. Think I'll cancel golf this afternoon.
Yeah I've also done double bolus, that's awkward, but at least it's all over in 4 hours.

Jamie H

4 hours in on double basal. So I think that's full effect on tresiba. Hanging in there with careful monitoring. What a pain. Think I'll cancel golf this afternoon.
Yeah I've also done double bolus, that's awkward, but at least it's all over in 4 hours.
Hope all worked out.. And you didn't cancel golf. Get the rounds in when you can!!!

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yes played nine holes. One oats porridge bar plus one bottle of lucozade got me round. Hard exercise I feel would really plummet me on current dosage.
Weighing up now wether to cycle in tomorrow. 12 miles. Not sure yet see how the night goes.
A costly error, cause I was rushing and careless. T1 is hard work. 45 years for me now.

Reactions: Jamie H

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yes played nine holes. One oats porridge bar plus one bottle of lucozade got me round. Hard exercise I feel would really plummet me on current dosage.
Weighing up now wether to cycle in tomorrow. 12 miles. Not sure yet see how the night goes.
A costly error, cause I was rushing and careless. T1 is hard work. 45 years for me now.

Hi,

Don't beat yerself up buddy.

44 years of it for me.. I keep,the carbs down. However, what can work for me is totally useless if I forget (with the "familiarity" of it all.) to take basal. Or get the bolus right for my meals.

We have "surprises." We don't all live in a controlled lab rat, glass case environment, living to what is projected on paper. (By the insulin boffins.)

I'm just glad you're around to tell the tale..?