Double Vision

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
First, apologies if my typing isn't great, I'm typing with one eye closed as I have double vision!

I replaced my Libre this morning as it was reading really out (up in the 11s when I was in the 3s). I'd had problems with it since last night so possibly was low throughout the night, but I was aware so not super-low as doing finger prick checks and I do usually have very tight control and dipping into high 3s isn't unusual for me.

I am back in the 4/5s and happy that I am steadfy however I have double vision. Could this be caused by running low and is it likely to go away soon? Is it something I should be worried about?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could this be caused by running low and is it likely to go away soon? Is it something I should be worried about?
I don't know if this could have been caused by a low.
But you only have one pair of eyes, if it were me I'd definitely call 111 for advice if I had sudden double vision.
Good luck, hope it will settle soon!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am back in the 4/5s and happy that I am steadfy however I have double vision. Could this be caused by running low and is it likely to go away soon? Is it something I should be worried about?

Beaten to the post by @Antje77 (nothing new there). :)

I suggest you ring 111 and hope that the double vision has gone by the time they advise you what to do. Good luck.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I took a walk up to the pharmacy as needed to pick stuff up anyway. Getting myself out and active in the fresh air seems to have sorted it out.

Reactions: Antje77

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i had my second stroke, my left eye was 3° out and UP for 4 days, my god that was truly horrendous. Violently sick until they fitted a temporary prism to my glasses. Hoped and prayed it would return to normal, as having a permanent prism in my glasses would have tipped them well over £500. Thankfully they did return to normal. Double vision is no joke, but the brain can adjust for side to side and up and down, but not for both at the same time. Glad it's sorted itself out, you have my sympathy for the time you suffered.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I’m fully hypo aware. But waking from a low regarding eye adjustment to light & wot not can be blurry, shimmery, double visionary.
Which sometimes takes a while to correct, even after I’ve treated? Hence the reason I set my alarm for work an hour earlier than I really need to.

MimB

Double vision was my first indicator I had a problem but despite the optician saying it was "a significant change in 15months" no other comments or suggestions of further tests (full test history would show very little change to prescription in the past). Result bought £400 glasses - stupidly indulged in new frames. 2weeks later in hospital diagnosed type 1 with second highest Hba1c that surgery had seen.

I had bought insurance for the glasses and assumed that I would be able to get new lenses under that insurance but the insurance is only for broken or lost glasses and replacement would be for the exact prescription that I can no longer use!!

now in discussions with the optician to see if I can at least get free new lenses put in otherwise they are quoting another £200!! I went back to my old glasses once my levels have changed back to normal within 2-weeks of my diagnosis
my argument is that the optician should have at least flagged it up but there seems to be a lack of education as to possible reason if she uses the words significant changes she must have been concerned!