Dr. Jason Fung Videos

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I was listening to a podcast from Dr Fung. He stated he is not allowed to run an RCT on fasting or even report his results for ethical reasons. So a lot of information on human trials in the 21st century may not be forthcoming

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think you are far more likely to experience the Phinney part being a pretty fit athlete rather than the overweight Type 2's that Jason treats but very interesting that even after loosing a bit of LBM you regained it so fast. Maybe they are both correct but just looking a slightly different timelines as well as completely different groups of people.
Gosh, to be called an athlete at 50.5! I think this is a valid point about the timeline. Thinking about it Volek and Phinney would be viewing and measuring persons who deplete energy stores in a heart beat whereas Fung deals a lot with elderly who would not be as active.

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello there. You have posed your question in quite an old thread and Dr. Fung is not (to my knowledge) a member here. You may wish to put your question in a stand alone thread in the 'Ask a Question' part of the forum where you will receive the advice and knowledge from members who are or have been in your position. Good Luck.

Perhaps Dr Fung may not be a member but the truth is all that matters, no matter where it's from or going to. However, I respect your request though. But then, such truths cannot be left unknown or considered old info. It's saving lives that's what it's all about.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dear Dr Jason

I understand much more about T2DM and after watching your videos actually inspired me to take control totally, now! Been suffering for over 30 years and never once under control. Up until recently, I came across findings that dieting can reverse the disease. Already spent tens of thousands of dollars but still no way close to hitting the good control zone (4.0 ~ 6.0 mmol/l). My family doctor just prescribed me another additional drug - insulin aspart (NovoRapid). Very effective though but I fear its going to increase my existing level of insulin in my body. Too much will increase my hunger thus gain weight. Initially I started from pills to more pills, then injection (inject prior to meals). Which continue to allevate to using Lantus Glargin - max 50 units. The other cocktail of pills include Linagliptin (5mg), Losartan (5mg) and Metformin (850mg).
Up until a few back, I told my family doctor that I will go into a low or no carb diet. Loose weight regime. So I requested a drop in dosage to 30 units to aid in my quest.
But always in the back of my mind is this burning question. Besides the insulin resistant condition I am in now, what if my produced insulin is ineffective, say half the strength. Is that possible? I mean we have to look at a problem from all possibilities, right? So Dr Jason, can you help answer my question and hopefully some advise on my condition. Appreciate it tremendously.
Jason Fung is a contributor to the low carb/keto site Diet Doctor so you may be able to post this there. He is currently at he Swiss Re Food for Thought conference in Switzerland. I would also like to plug his book The Diabetes Code .
Re your question from my understanding (from a lay person and type 1) the function of the insulin producing cells in the pancreas can improve once the fat that surrounds the liver and the pancreas is reduced. However the longer you have been diabetic, the slower this process may be (see also Professor Roy Taylor's Newcastle Diet study on You Tube).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Perhaps Dr Fung may not be a member but the truth is all that matters, no matter where it's from or going to. However, I respect your request though. But then, such truths cannot be left unknown or considered old info. It's saving lives that's what it's all about.

I am not questioning Dr. Fung's methods, in fact I am a fan of his. It is your choice where and how you post threads/-comments, I was just trying to help. Enjoy the rest of your day.

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok cool. I got no problem here whatsoever.

However, the world needs to know.

And if there is finally a cure for T1DM, please don't hold back the truth. Tell it to the world and save thousands of lives.

I am sure that day will come. Pray!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you are far more likely to experience the Phinney part being a pretty fit athlete rather than the overweight Type 2's that Jason treats but very interesting that even after loosing a bit of LBM you regained it so fast. Maybe they are both correct but just looking a slightly different timelines as well as completely different groups of people.

I expect a big factor in Jason's data Is people eating better food when not fasting, hence reward yourself with a ribeye steak and eggs after each fast!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was listening to a podcast from Dr Fung. He stated he is not allowed to run an RCT on fasting or even report his results for ethical reasons. So a lot of information on human trials in the 21st century may not be forthcoming

RCT, don't tell as the results when someone CHOOSES their own diet, hence are of limited use to us anyway.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
RCT, don't tell as the results when someone CHOOSES their own diet, hence are of limited use to us anyway.

He was talking about fasting. You don’t get to choose what you eat on an RCT