Dreaming and BG

naseriax

Hi all,
Which one is correct?
High Blood Glucose will cause mixed dreams?
Or
Mixed dreams will cause high Blood Glucose?

Sometime i sleep with a normal BG and estimate to have 70-100 mg BG when i wake up like normal days,
But i wake up with 200 mg after lots of mixed and stressful dreams.
Anyone with same experiences?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think nightmares and stuff like that can certainly raise blood glucose. Heart pounding stuff, stress related.

Reactions: Jollymon and Ponchu
D

Deleted Account

If I have a dream I can remember, it is a good sign my bg has been high most of the night. These are the bizarre type of dreams rather than heart pounding nightmares.
I have always thought this was a symptom of high bg rather than causing it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Personally, I feel that dreams or the subject matter of dreams is just the brain "de fragmenting" recent experiences whilst the persons sleeps.
The quality of that sleep (or lack of..?) may trigger vivid memories of this process of REM state on waking.

Blood sugars out of range or maybe the body fighting of a flu like virus, possibly some nagging muscle pain? can trigger such bizzare memories of this natural process due to the effect on disturbing deep sleep patterns..

Reactions: Ponchu
M

Member496333

This is of interest to me. As my glucose and insulin numbers have recently dropped off a cliff to the extent of completely and utterly eliminating all hints of dawn phenomenon, I’ve been having all manner of super awesome, creative dreams. I put it down to ever improving cognitive function. Love it! :woot:

Reactions: Ponchu

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I like running my numbers at a normal level, but I don’t like my dreams- they terrify me. I’d rather go to be completely exhausted just so I avoid having or remembering any dreams. So my experience is, my numbers are good, and my basal rate supports me, but my dreams are something to avoid.