1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Drinking alcohol

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Bigyin 2, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Bigyin 2

Bigyin 2 Type 2 · Newbie

going to a wedding in Ireland ,last one ended as a three day bender,newly diagnosed diabetic,read about 3/4 units but not going to happen,advice please

2. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

3. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Why bother having a drink at all if that is all we can have. If I go out for an evening I will have two glasses of wine, and if I am really naughty three, but I do not go out that often and the wine does not seem to spike my BG levels. This is not to say that it may not spike somebody else's though. I will have a cheeky couple on a Friday night

4. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I alternate my wine consumption with a glass of water or diet pop (easier on the system).

5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Guidelines are just that, however if you are keen to get good BG control then try drinking say red wine and also water between each one to keep your body hydrated, otherwise have a great time, the Irish do host some amazing celebrations ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bigyin 2

Bigyin 2 Type 2 · Newbie

Just have my normal 8/10 pints each day ,not going to worry about it,up until 14 days ago was oblivious to this condition,so will behave myself for a while after my trip

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook