Drinking causing blurrines?

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Hi,

Im still new to all this and a little nervous about drinking (only been diagnosed for 2 weeks)
My BS were about 12 before lunch then l went and had a glass of red wine in the sun after lunch.
My BS have come down to about 7 but my vision is a bit more blurry than before.

Slightly concerned- maybe its just me overworrying?
Also lm wanting to go out this weekend but still getting tired about 7:30/8pm! And don't to get myself into any dangerous situations as l dont understand it all yet.

Jo x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Alcohol used to blur my vision as well but perhaps that was just too much of it! :D
Seriously though you say you were sitting in the sun,perhaps that affected your eyes.It's something that I can't do as sunlight really affects my eyes even with reactolyte lens.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Thank you- will make sure l wear sunnies in the sun just in case in future.
I have been told that alcohol may affect me more as well now.. maybe the one glass got me a bit tipsy!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jo,

If your BS was 12 before lunch, it almost certainly have gone higher as a result of what you ate for lunch. So to have dropped right down to 5 by the time you posted at 3:30ish would have been a huge drop in a very short time. A sudden drop like that can be the cause of blurred vision.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Ah l see! At least l know the reason behind it now. My BS levels are still going a little crazy! Ithink a weekend of no drinking is probably a good plan.. the TV is becoming my new best friend! Such good fun all this ha

Grumpy

I'm a newbie to all this too, but I was told that alcohol causes the bs to plummet, then rocket.
I was wondering; is there a Scale Of Evil for alcohol? I speak as a real ale enthusiast with a penchant for the occasional bucket of G&T or white wine...

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi, Dont Panic, my vision was blurry for about 3-4 weeks and i hardly drink at all, it`s proberly just your high blood counts your eyes will settle after you gain control over your count.
Graham 1441 :wink:

lilibet

Hi

When your bg is settling down after diagnosis blurry vision is common.Many people get it before dx but I didnt so nearly had heart failure when i was driving and things went out of focus. Had to keep rubbing eyes and only after three days of not being able to read much, see fine detail on tv etc did DNS happen to query if 'id had blurry vision yet' to which I replied yes. She then stated she 'meant' to say at our last meeting that it was likely

They recommend not getting an eye test for at least 3 months after dx due to it,. If it doesnt go away in a a month or so, get to doc or optician.,However if you are only 2 weeks it, its likely to be diabetes. It does come and go too, so dont worry about the transient nature of it

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi,
When i had vision probs i told my line manager and he said, Dont through medical problems at me just do your job.
Fine for some, I am a 7.5 tonne driver???????
Graham 1441

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Eeek bit scary!! I found it hard enough walking round Sainsbury's shaking and blurry vision just now!

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I have worn glasses since i was 6 years old and found i could drive without glasses for four days.
Now thats scarry.
Graham1441

Grumpy

Grumpy said:
I was wondering; is there a Scale Of Evil for alcohol? I speak as a real ale enthusiast with a penchant for the occasional bucket of G&T or white wine...

Don't worry, I've found a Scale of Evil in the Collins Carbs book!

yipster29

This was all well useful! I like Jo was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and whilst I'm really getting to grips with the diet and injections etc my eyes are driving me nuts. Never had a problem before, when I was taken to hosp and diagnosed (blood 32) eyes were very bad and was dizzy but I'd hoped it would be gone by now and was worrying I'd done long term damage!! I'l resist the urge to panic for a week or 2 yet!! :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
High blood sugars (and 32 is dangerously high) causes the lens of the eye to become distorted. As your blood sugar level reduces so the lens gradually recovers its normal shape, and your vision can become blurred while this change is going on. This is why you should never order specs while you are undergoing changes like this. You can have your sight tested and glasses made but by the time they are ready to collect you will need different ones! Wait until your BS is a lot lower and stable.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Your eyes will return to normal when your blood get down to 4-8 for a few days.
Mine took about 5 weeks altogether.
Dont Panic.

RPNKW

Hi

My vision was blurred for 6 weeks post diagnosis after I got out of hospital. This is common and it settles.Usually the result of excess glucose in your eye making the lens slow to react.

I think that rapid drops in sugars can affect people as I still get occasional transitory blurriness but nothing like when I was really ill.

Too much red wine can make your eyes puffy which doesn't help, dewpends how much you drink.

RPNKW