Drinking

tmv5658

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not drink very much alcohol usually a Preseco or champagne on the very odd occasion, but there are times when I would like to have a drink when out, other than water is there anything anyone can suggest that won't send my BG thru the roof ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Red wine, dry white, most spirits with a sugar free mixer. Definitely not beer or lager, although I believe Coors do a low carb beer but I'm not an expert on beer, its just something I've read on here.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends what you mean by thru the roof? I think everyone is different as to what they can/can't tolerate and the amounts. Also you need to think about any diabetic medication that you may be taking, or any medication for that matter when you are talking about BG and alcohol. You see I do take a drink on a weekend and I drink a couple of pints of lager which does increase my levels by about 2 mmol/ls and I take metformin. This is my choice because i'm determined not to let this thing change my life completely and some will say even this is not a good idea, which I have to agree is pushing it.

Now compared to what I used to drink and smoke and eat I'm living the life of a monk! which in my book is good for my long term health, and a few pints on a weekend or the odd chocolate biscuit can't be that bad. But saying all of this I have used my meter to bring my post meal and weekend evening drink levels down a lot. So you need to find out how much you can drink? and there is a lot that you can but from what you have said I'm sure you will be fine