Drinking

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Going to a wedding party tonight not a big drinking and don't want to be unsociable any suggestions.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of glasses of red wine doesn't do me any harm. I avoid beer and obviously anything high in sugar.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Bumpsywife_ .. and welcome
A glass (or three) of wine .. red is a little lower in carbs than white .. should not raise your blood sugar too much. Most important .. enjoy the party :happy:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Fizzy water?
Not the flavoured kind.
With a slice of lemon looks like g&t

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes I think redwine is the best choice and remember the first glass do lower blood glucose a bit .... not the next

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes I think redwine is the best choice and remember the first glass do lower blood glucose a bit .... not the next

I can't agree with this! As an example n=1, the more glasses the lower the BS. Not that I either recommend this or do it myself very often.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't agree with this! As an example n=1, the more glasses the lower the BS. Not that I either recommend this or do it myself very often.

if so why won´t you recomend it then :) ?

well I think it all depends on how used one is to drinking, the liver addapts to drinking , and how much the conversion of glucose is slowed in the liver by the alcohol I think is different from one person to the other... but maybe some people are lucky that more wine l´willl lower blood glucose even more...

by the way I think I´ll enjoy a glass now waiting for my rye-bread to finsh baking in the owen

Reactions: Bluetit1802

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Going to a wedding party tonight not a big drinking and don't want to be unsociable any suggestions.

Hi. For some people, a small amount of red wine does next to nothing to their blood sugar; I get a little spike from it. I do, however, remarkably, get away with a bottle of good beer with my meal if the food is low carb. We all differ, but..what is worth bearing in mind is that the liver effectively deals with alcohol before it deals with anything else...so that "distracts" it from causing big changes in blood sugar...it delays things for a bit. I have never been a drinker really but I now have a small whisky if I feel like one. If blood sugar is high, it has been known to reduce it (but only temporarily). Most agree that whisky, vodka and gin (yeeurghhh) are pretty much ok. I am not however recommended getting walloped on a regular basis to maintain good blood sugar levels! If you are looking for something other than alcohol, I'd suggest very diluted no sugar juice like Robinsons if possible (I drink at least 2 litres a day). There are no carbs in Coke Zero...but there are other reasons not to drink to much of that stuff. If you are drinking water, make it from the tap. Have a nice time....quality of life is important too...allow yourself to switch off (very slightly) for the day if your levels aren't too horrible.

Reactions: Bumpyswife_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from anything else, red wine is full of antioxidants and very good for the heart. A glass a day is recommended for improving cholesterol levels, although it is wise to drink it with a meal rather than on its own. It has to be remembered though that alcohol is full of calories, so care needs to be taken when trying to lose weight.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bumpyswife_ struggling to find where it says that the only way to be sociable involves alcohol.
Quality conversation and the ability to make people smile = sociability in my eyes.
A pint of orange cordial and soda water for me and if any smart **** comments come my way I bide my time and wait for all the alcohol to do its business and I can sit watching people making fools of themselves.
Don't be pressured into drinking alcohol, enjoy YOURSELF.

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Hi @Bumpyswife_ struggling to find where it says that the only way to be sociable involves alcohol.
Quality conversation and the ability to make people smile = sociability in my eyes.
A pint of orange cordial and soda water for me and if any smart **** comments come my way I bide my time and wait for all the alcohol to do its business and I can sit watching people making fools of themselves.
Don't be pressured into drinking alcohol, enjoy YOURSELF.
Thanks I don't usually drink I have been know to get drunk on orange juice before now a lot depends on the company your in. Just wondered can I drink a toast to the newlyweds with alcohol or not.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I don't usually drink I have been know to get drunk on orange juice before now a lot depends on the company your in. Just wondered can I drink a toast to the newlyweds with alcohol or not.
Definitely drink a toast to the newlyweds if you want to. Yes you're a diabetic but first and foremost you're a human being with all the emotions and joys of life that involves. Have a fun night.

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Definitely drink a toast to the newlyweds if you want to. Yes you're a diabetic but first and foremost you're a human being with all the emotions and joys of life that involves. Have a fun night.
Thanks will try my best to have fun without drunkenly dancing on the tables.....;)

Reactions: Jaylee

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks will try my best to have fun without drunkenly dancing on the tables.....;)

Actually a glass of decent, dry champagne (Brut Nature, Extra Brut, and Brut would be fine, Sec or Demi Sec would be too sweet for my palate) would be absolutely fine. Just avoid the sweet stuff really.

Spirits, straight or with a sugar free mixer are generally fine. A dry wine spritzer is fine, especially red wine. Beer is tricky usually.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add. You may find a moderate tipple may stop any "liver dump" the following morning, resulting in a decent fasting level?
Though your head may be telling you something different... :)

Have fun, whatever you choose!

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Just to add. You may find a moderate tipple may stop any "liver dump" the following morning, resulting in a decent fasting level?
Though your head may be telling you something different... :)

Have fun, whatever you choose!
Had a brilliant night started off with a lime and soda then went on to red wine. Must admit they went down really well. woke with a banging headache and cramp this morning had a pint of water and felt better . Tested and results are 8.3 .:rolleyes:

Reactions: pleinster