Type 1 Drinking

NeilB81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I am a type 1 and have been for 23years . I have been having a hard few months and I have been drinking a lot more than normal . I like cider as well not sure if that make it worse. Because of the drinking and my sugars have been really bad I have put on loads of weight too . I also feel now that my insulin is not as effective has anyone had this been through this or can suggest anything. I am trying to sort out my drinking as life is on the up.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The alcohol in the cider will actually drop your levels, however ciders and beers are full of carbs.....so not ideal when diabetic.....

you should really try and come off it for a while if you're having a hard time of late......but recreational its fine to drink, even as a diabetic.......

you would need to give insulin for the carbs if you're drinking cider.....try and commit to a certain amount and dose for it.....and then consider an uncovered carb or basal reduction in the hours following to stop any lows caused by the liver/alcohol...

NeilB81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The alcohol in the cider will actually drop your levels, however ciders and beers are full of carbs.....so not ideal when diabetic.....

you should really try and come off it for a while if you're having a hard time of late......but recreational its fine to drink, even as a diabetic.......

you would need to give insulin for the carbs if you're drinking cider.....try and commit to a certain amount and dose for it.....and then consider an uncovered carb or basal reduction in the hours following to stop any lows caused by the liver/alcohol...

Thanks for this. I find my sugars rocket up to the high 20s and I don’t count for carbs in the cider. Maybe that is why the alcohol has never really taken me down . Find the next day almost as bad .

M

Member496333

Be mindful that copious quantities of cider may begin to induce some pathological insulin resistance due to the combined effects of the alcohol and fructose in the liver. On their own they can cause problems in excess, but together they’re a perfect storm. I know you’re type 1 but that doesn’t exclude anyone from the potential harmful effects.