pollyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hi
I will be 70 yrs old this year and my current 3 year licence expires. I am taking insulin and my BS control is good with no particular problems but am very worried in case I don't get it renewed. Have other members found any difficulties with renewal. I am T2 and have had no problems in the past with renewal but concerned cos of my age.

Thank you
Polly

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you'll be fine.

The DVLA would only revoke your license providing that you're a danger or hazard whilst on the road.

You can check the DIAB1 form to make sure that you meet all the requirements.

Providing that you aren't experiencing excessive bouts of hypoglycemia, have sound vision and are hypo aware then the DVLA should be happy enough.

Age shouldn't matter providing that you're physically able.

Grant

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Grant
Thank you for your reply. I have completed this form in the past and it was fine. Just that I read somewhere recently that electronic records of blood sugar testing should be made available if required. I check my BS AM and PM and also before I drive the car, but I haven't kept records other than manual or via my meter.
Cheers Polly

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
, but I haven't kept records other than manual or via my meter.
Cheers Polly
Your usual meter memory of 500 tests will take 3months (~93days) @~5.37 tests/day, so should be OK;)
What is your meter?

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi and thanku for the information. My meter is an Aga Matrix Jazz. I must read up on it. Must confess it isn't as easy as the contour which I used for ages.
Polly

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi and thanku for the information. My meter is an Aga Matrix Jazz. I must read up on it. Must confess it isn't as easy as the contour which I used for ages.
Polly
according to the bumf it has a1,865 Test Memory, so that should suffice:cool:

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily but has anyone actually lost their driving licence with a few low BS meter results. My last HBA1c result was 7.3 which seems to be well controlled. Has anyone on the forum had any problems with DVLA.

S

Shar67

As long as you are hypo aware, no the rules for driving and haven't needed assistance during the last 12 months during a hypo (that is you couldn't deal with it without help) then you'll be fine

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
From memory they also they or insurance companies like you to test and be over 5 before you drive. Worth thinking about.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From memory they also they or insurance companies like you to test and be over 5 before you drive. Worth thinking about.
I think this is an approach that should be a rule of thumb for everybody regardless of insurance provider.

Reactions: 2 people

40djbrooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If your GP or consultant says you can drive then you should be fine. I am type 2 and I still drive,just make sure you eat something before driving and have something in the car in case.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I am 83. T2 on Metformin 2x500 and LCD and have had no problems so far.

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Everyone
Thank you for all your posts which gave me loads to consider and am pleased to tell you all that I have been given my licence for a further three years which is great news for me. I wasn't sure if reaching the big 70 would be a problem. In response to Lizzie's post I have always made sure that my BS is over 5 before I drive and agree with her that it is essential.

Reactions: 2 people