Driving License Revoked

Brambly Hedge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can help me.
I am type 2 and started on insulin a couple of years ago but haven't been driving during this time due to traveling. I came back last year and rang the DVLA December last year to get advice on what i had to do regarding notifying them that I was now on insulin . They advised that I had to fill a form in and that I could keep my driving license and that I was still ok to drive unless my doctor told me not to.
Because I was leaving to travel to Asia for a few months literally the next day, I left it at that as I wasn't going to be driving. I have just returned home and found a couple of letters from the DVLA informing me that that because I hadn't filled in a DIAB1 form in within a fortnight of my telephone call that they have now revoked my license and that I now need to apply for a DB1? if i want to get my license back. I genuinely thought I was just ringing them for advice in December and fully intended to fill in the form when I got back as I knew that I wouldn't be driving.
My diabetes is well controlled and i have no issues in this regard. Does anyone have any advice. Ie is it possible to call someone to see if I can get it re-invoked whilst my DIAB1 / D1 is processed. If there is no other option can anyone give me a steer as to how long the process is.

Thanks for any help.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It’s unlikely they will do anything over the phone, but you can try.. you can at least ask them to clarify what the want you todo and how long it take to do it.

The mistake you made was that you identified yourself to them, you made a verbal declaration which is recorded.. and it’s a legal requirement then to notify within a certain timeframe.. failure todo so means they revoke your license.

Once revoked there is no simple way to get it back apart from follow the advised process, and don’t drive in the mean time..

Do double check on the online driving licence checker, as sometimes they only revoke special privileges like HGV/PCV etc so the online checker will advise if there are any driving privileges or not

Brambly Hedge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just a follow up to my previous post. After speaking to a couple of people at the DVLA ...I filled a D1 form in as well as a DIAB1 form and wrote them a short letter as to what had happened. I received my new license back in two weeks. Its valid for three years which I was aware could be the case. I have to give a big shout out to the people at the DVLA as they do get a bit of stick but in my case, all of the people that I spoke to on the phone were polite and helpful and they dealt with my case really quickly.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Hi just a follow up to my previous post. After speaking to a couple of people at the DVLA ...I filled a D1 form in as well as a DIAB1 form and wrote them a short letter as to what had happened. I received my new license back in two weeks. Its valid for three years which I was aware could be the case. I have to give a big shout out to the people at the DVLA as they do get a bit of stick but in my case, all of the people that I spoke to on the phone were polite and helpful and they dealt with my case really quickly.
Thanks for the update. 3 years is normal for anyone on insulin so it sounds like you have got the right result.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
EllieM said:
Thanks for the update. 3 years is normal for anyone on insulin so it sounds like you have got the right result.

Not for anyone…. Mine is 1 year!

Last edited: