Driving

Emma3312

I am livid . Today i went to purches a 7 seater for me and my family. While looking for insurance i noticed that even the cheapest company wanted £3000 more than if i didn't tell them. I feel discriminated against how can they charge so much

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: beam

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am livid . Today i went to purches a 7 seater for me and my family. While looking for insurance i noticed that even the cheapest company wanted £3000 more than if i didn't tell them. I feel discriminated against how can they charge so much

My insurance company didn't want to know any details and didn't change my premium when as a T2 I moved onto Insulin - I also have sleep apnoea another notifiable condition. I would ring round - mine is through the manufacturers named company. I was expecting a hike so was pleasantly surprised.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree you are no more a risk as a controlled diabetic than someone who is unaware of a major heart or brain condition.

Emma3312

My insurance company havnt put my insurance up this year but it will be going up by £1000 next year. I have shopped around the cheapest company wanted £6000 for the 7 seater, my company wouldn't insure me on it at all

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My insurance for a car costs no more because I'm a diabetic on insulin. You need to get other quotes.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Similar happened to me. I phoned and told them my DSN said that there should be no extra charge, and that I'd like to complain, magically they made it go away.

Reactions: Emma3312

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think car insurance is very expensive for new drivers. It may be cheaper if you have someone else on your policy as well as yourself. I have been in the driver's seat for very many years and have always had my hubby as an additional driver with me as the main driver. A few years ago my hubby wrote of my car so he decided that he would no longer be on my insurance policy. When I acquired a new car, I phoned around for quotes and was told that the policy would be cheaper with hubby included despite his recent accident!

I have never had to pay more for insurance because of being on insulin. I currently pay less than £300 per year fully comprehensive on a top of the range Vauxhall. When our children were new drivers we, as parents, had separate policies on the cars that they drove with them as the main driver.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Only 8 months so i know that dosnt help but it was £3000 then jumped to 6000 when i told them i was diabetic. I was diagnosed type one two days after passing my test

They can't discriminate because you have diabetes, if a insurance company does this then look elsewhere @Emma3312 My own insurance is no more expensive than friends I know who don't have diabetes.

However insurance companies are well known to heavily load the premiums for young inexperienced drivers, my son's insurance has only just starting to come down after 4 years of driving.

Reactions: Dodo

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They definitely aren't allowed to discriminate because you have diabetes, and it's never affected my premiums.

However, just to confirm what @noblehead said, I'm coming up on my fifth year of driving, and my insurance has only just dropped below the four figure mark - and that's for a mini!

Cheeky tip - if there is anyone else with a driving license at your address, adding them as a 'named driver' can reduce the cost for some reason. I'm on mine as the main driver, since it is my car, but putting my dad on as a 'named driver' knocked over £600 off of it.

Reactions: noblehead

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheeky tip - if there is anyone else with a driving license at your address, adding them as a 'named driver' can reduce the cost for some reason. I'm on mine as the main driver, since it is my car, but putting my dad on as a 'named driver' knocked over £600 off of it.

This definitely helps. I still leave both my parents as named on my car and it still reduces it. Never been questioned and I have my own mortgage now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
However, just to confirm what @noblehead said, I'm coming up on my fifth year of driving, and my insurance has only just dropped below the four figure mark - and that's for a mini!

Were you ever tempted by the Black Box device to bring your insurance down @EllsKBells

Great tip, both my wife and I are on my sons policy to reduce the cost, we initially seen the tip on one of the price comparison websites.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
They can't discriminate because you have diabetes

It can't discriminate . . . . . . . . but might offer you insurance at a higher premium. The laws prohibit "unfair discrimination"—that is, the formulation of rates on the basis of criteria that do not fairly measure the actual risk involved. They might argue that diabetes affects the risk. Travel insurance is another area where, to quote Diabetes.co.uk " Travel insurance for people with diabetes is often loaded with higher premiums due to people with diabetes having a higher risk."

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They might argue that diabetes affects the risk. Travel insurance is another area where, to quote Diabetes.co.uk " Travel insurance for people with diabetes is often loaded with higher premiums due to people with diabetes having a higher risk."

Of course there's a risk, but there's risks also with other health conditions where people drive.

Where life insurance is concerned they do hike the premiums, I've had to pay a heavier premium for life cover than I would have done if I didn't have type 1.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Of course there's a risk, but there's risks also with other health conditions where people drive.

I don't like it . . . . . but can see why they do it. Occupation seems to be a big consideration on premiums. Doctors, accountants and insurance inspectors are paying top prices for their car insurance, while actors, wine merchants and antique dealers are some of the safest drivers in the country, attracting lower premiums according to research into the factors that influence insurance premiums (Moneysupermarket). Post code come into it as well, Central London motorists pay £922 a year on insurance, whereas those in the Isle of Man pay just £231, according to figures from the AA.
Then there's the Insurance Premium tax which has been part of the reason some premiums are 11% higher this year than last. I think there's far too many factors to understand one particular case.
I know my premium for a fully comp policy on a 7 seater went up by 33% this year, so I changed companies and didn't waste my time answering when Legal and General asked if there was a problem.