Type 1 Driving

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Can a type 1 diabetic become a driving instructor?
Try searching Driving and DVLA on the Forum page. I googled "can you be a driving instructor with diabetes" and found a link to this site. Having since trawled through 30 pages. I found nothing that answers your question. Apologies, but try phoning DVLA on 0300 790 6806 which will get you through to the Medical Group - eventually!

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm fairly sure someone that posts on the forum that uses insulin is a driving instructor, but I'm sorry I can't remember who it is.

Reactions: Nadia19

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm fairly sure someone that posts on the forum that uses insulin is a driving instructor, but I'm sorry I can't remember who it is.

I think @woollygal is a driving instructor, and I know she talks about avoiding hypos, but I think she's T2 and not on insulin.

@searley is pretty knowledgeable about driving licenses and driving while T1.

@Nadia19 Not sure about the legality, but you'd need to have a good way to avoid hypos, because you wouldn't want to go hypo while at the wheel, though hopefully a cgm would help.

Reactions: Nadia19

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I made a mistake. Thanks Ellie for remembering who it was :)

Nadia19

Try searching Driving and DVLA on the Forum page. I googled "can you be a driving instructor with diabetes" and found a link to this site. Having since trawled through 30 pages. I found nothing that answers your question. Apologies, but try phoning DVLA on 0300 790 6806 which will get you through to the Medical Group - eventually!

Thanks for your advice I will have a look online, on DVLA it does a application and you answer a few general questions. No questions about health conditions or restricted licenses. If I don’t have any luck online either, I will contact them personally. Thank you.

Nadia19

I think @woollygal is a driving instructor, and I know she talks about avoiding hypos, but I think she's T2 and not on insulin.

@searley is pretty knowledgeable about driving licenses and driving while T1.

@Nadia19 Not sure about the legality, but you'd need to have a good way to avoid hypos, because you wouldn't want to go hypo while at the wheel, though hopefully a cgm would help.

Thanks for your reply, I’m going to have a look online again and try find something. Failing that I will contact the DVLA and find out. If anyone else has helpful answers I’m happy to read. Thanks again.

Reactions: EllieM

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I don't see why you can't I drive HGV carrying explosive gasses which is far more dangerous than teaching someone to drive.

I would think as you'd be in charge of the vehicle you have to do all the relevant blood tests.. and carry fast acting carbs and slower acting carbs

Infact thinking on it someone was trying to get me to become an hgv instructor and they knew I was t1

Reactions: EllieM