Driving

jackgard

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
What is DVLA policy on driving? My daughter is type 1 and 17 this year, she is keen to start driving. She is not great at testing blood sugars, do DVLA require you to test regularly? If so this may be enough to make her test and take more control
Jackie
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Driving

Thankfully bg testing is a prerequisite before getting behind the wheel so your daughter may come unstuck unless she comply's, on applying they will offer a 1, 2 or 3 licence depending on the decision by the DVLA medical dept, they may write to her gp or diabetes clinics for reports so it's in her best interests to start getting a hold on her diabetes before her birthday comes around.

As you say this could be the motivation she needs :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

She needs to test every time prior to driving and must be at least 5mmol. If she is on a long drive, she needs to test every 2 hrs. She must have blood glucose monitor in vehicle, with some fast acting carbs within reach too. Should make her test more regularly hopefully ;-)

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Jackie,
Dvla state that your bg must be above 5 to drive. You must test 15 minutes before you drive and then if on a longer journey, every 2 hours. This info is available on line at dvla website.
Hope this helps.
Pete

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity

I read something recently that says you must be able to provide 3 months worth a readings. I think this is from your blood glucose monitor but I'm not sure. I can't get on the DVLA website to find out but I'd check if possible.

Elc1112

I've never had to provide readings. I believe that they can ask if they feel that you have poor hypo awareness or if they don't believe that you test every time you get behind the wheel of a car.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

The 3 months evidence of readings is more for LGV license I think. Well, I haven't had to provide them for normal license but I have medical soon with consultant on instructions from DVLA. It states I need to bring evidence of 3 months readings.