Dropped My Meds

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on 1 canagliflozin and 4 metformin ( doctors orders!) for about 2 year now, been testing at home for about 9 month and apart from 2 readings of 7.2 breakfast post prandial and both after parties im generally in the 5.2 to 6.2 range but normally in the low 5's. I cut down from 4 metformin to 2 a week ago and was getting readings of 5.2 - 5.3 so ive stopped my canagliflozin this morning and post prandial im 6.2, a slight raise but its encouraging. Will keep you's posted, hope it works for me!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have been on 1 canagliflozin and 4 metformin ( doctors orders!) for about 2 year now, been testing at home for about 9 month and apart from 2 readings of 7.2 breakfast post prandial and both after parties im generally in the 5.2 to 6.2 range but normally in the low 5's. I cut down from 4 metformin to 2 a week ago and was getting readings of 5.2 - 5.3 so ive stopped my canagliflozin this morning and post prandial im 6.2, a slight raise but its encouraging. Will keep you's posted, hope it works for me!

Slow and steady wins the race!

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @hooose Did you reduce Metformin medication on your own or did you chat with Dr first? :)

Last edited:

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done. You are achieving what most doctors believe is impossible. Keep taking the readings and be specific about what you want to achieve. Good luck

Reactions: Terrytiddy

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im going alone on this, my docs are completley ignorant about this problem we have, they still push the "healthy eating plate" and tell me not to home test etc. 3 days without my canagliflozin and im back down to 5.5 2 hour post prandial this morning.

Reactions: Energize

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meant to add , i will still be attending my 6 months blood test to get results long term but i KNOW in my self its all ok

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick update...about 3 weeks in after dropping to 3 metformin and stopping canagloflozin my post prandial's are sitting in the 5.8 to 6.2 range, a very slight increase from before i dropped my meds but im well happy with them numbers

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Down to 2 metformin a day now, in 2 weeks time im going to try to come off meds totally

Reactions: Terrytiddy

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went for my hbca1 results yesterday...42 so an VERY happy with that, still on 2 metformin but am definetly going to try 1

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went for my hbca1 results yesterday...42 so an VERY happy with that, still on 2 metformin but am definetly going to try 1
Great result @hooose my HbA1c came back at 41, My Dr never said anything about dropping my meds! I was supposed to be on 4 Metformin and 4 Gliclazide a day, (I went to 2 Metformin and 2 Gliclazide a day about 6 weeks ago). I have now stopped taking the Gliclazide but kept to 2 Metforming going for now as they are supposed to help with a fatty liver. Like you my Bg numbers went up a bit when I stopped my meds but have settled down to around 5.2 average.:)

Reactions: Energize

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done, I believe we have to challenge our bodies to try to self regulate as you have done. Unless a GP takes a diabetes professional development course, or self researches, it is likely their knowledge will remain "general". I think "we" have to take as much personal responsibility for our own health as possible.

Reactions: JFow