EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Surely the bad taste is a plus when having hypo cures? When I'm low my natural instinct is to eat/drink the fridge until my blood sugar has gone up, so having something available that I actively like is an invitation to gorge. It's got to be nasty enough so that you only have it when you really need it.....

Reactions: SueJB

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely the bad taste is a plus when having hypo cures? When I'm low my natural instinct is to eat/drink the fridge until my blood sugar has gone up, so having something available that I actively like is an invitation to gorge. It's got to be nasty enough so that you only have it when you really need it.....

That's a theory, and I've seen it pushed for kids too to stop them faking/deliberately hypoing, but I prefer the excuse to eat something nice :)

I know the fridge thing - I've done that a few times, though I am getting better at controlling my reaction (and also at not crashing quite so hard in the first place). One thing which has helped me is having small bags of jelly babies - I know a 42g bag is enough to get me out of trouble, so I just eat that. Having them around on a cycling holiday was also useful - towards the end of the two weeks, I'd been good, so had plenty spare, and when one of the other riders said he really fancied a jelly baby his eyes lit up when I pulled a little bag out!

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

You're opening a wide philosopical discussion on hypo approaches there, Ellie!

Eating the fridge is always one of them, maybe not in my case, as I take the Tom Waits view that batchelor's fridges turn into a bacterial science project after a few months if not being tended to.

My take on it is that whenever I'm guesstimating there's a hard drop ahead which other sugars haven't sorted, the 15g Very Berry flavour Glucojuice I carry around with me is always going to pull me out of that.

If I'm in a hypo, I'm not looking for nasty tasting carbs. The Glucojuice has been nicely warmed up through being kept in my pocket, tastes nice, floats down, brings me up. I don't need anymore, because I reckon it's done the trick. A couple of oatcackes with cheese on top fits on top of that to smooth out the tail end.