Dropping considerably quick

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

When do you test after each meal. DAFNE recommends 4 hours after you've eaten as most quick acting insulins take that time to work. If after 2 hours you're high, it doesn't matter as it depends on what you've eaten. I don't know if you carb count but try 4 hour testing and see what your BSs are.....don't over correct .....never correct after 2 hours if you're high.
I done DAFNE and have always done 2 hours after a meal, and erm novo has on set time to start working after 30 mins and then at its peak after an hour so therefore 2 hours is fine.

D

Deleted member 83869

I done DAFNE and have always done 2 hours after a meal, and erm novo has on set time to start working after 30 mins and then at its peak after an hour so therefore 2 hours is fine.
As it has no effect after 3 hours usually.

D

Deleted member 83869

---------------- right if you are on any type of bolus like me you need to understand exactly how it works I am on Novorapid and Lantus solostar - my Lantus is an 18hour longactive background insulin taken at 10 - 12 pm at night. my novorapid is a fast acting insulin which is 4 hours active and peaks at 2 hours meaning i inject for meal before hand (very important ) then I test after the 4 hours are up. you need to figure out how your insulin works and make sure your on the right ratio Insulin - carbs . hope this helps :)
I know how my insulin works, I have been on it 7 years...I have just come off of the pump though so need to figure out my dosages etc

D

Deleted member 83869

"Novo Rapid (Insulin Aspart) has an onset of action about 30 minutes after injection and a peak effect at 1 hour with essentially no effect 3 hours after injection.

Blood glucose starts to rise less than 30 minutes after a meal, thus Novo Rapid is able to deal with this glucose rise earlier than Regular Insulin. As expected, there is less hyperglycemia 1 or 2 hours after a meal than there is using Regular Insulin and there is less hypoglycemia 3 to 4 hours after a meal than with Regular Insulin. In other words the action of Novo Rapid is closer to the action of food and it is therefore an effective insulin to take with meals."

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, dishonesty and general bad people.
"Novo Rapid (Insulin Aspart) has an onset of action about 30 minutes after injection and a peak effect at 1 hour with essentially no effect 3 hours after injection.

Blood glucose starts to rise less than 30 minutes after a meal, thus Novo Rapid is able to deal with this glucose rise earlier than Regular Insulin. As expected, there is less hyperglycemia 1 or 2 hours after a meal than there is using Regular Insulin and there is less hypoglycemia 3 to 4 hours after a meal than with Regular Insulin. In other words the action of Novo Rapid is closer to the action of food and it is therefore an effective insulin to take with meals."
-------------
good knowledge but yea 4 hours is done and 2 hours is the personal peak I was taught by Roché who did you get your info from? also it varies a little person to person based on absorption base on weight, as tight as that may be its best to figure it with a doc at they have the tools to get it spot on :) my suggestion is based on what I know hence I always reference check with doc :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mmmm I agree that peak is not necessarily 1 hr. Certainly pump And before I was always told 2 hours. Our pumps I don't think let you put an offset time down to 30 mins either. But confused here....

Like when you were on pump Nicola if you were high or low it wouldn't be the hour before you changed. And its the bolus's that need changing if incorrect 2-3hours after a bolus. All other times its your basal..
Novorapid can and does work up to 5 hours after a bolus, thats why its important to try and keep to meals 5 hours apart to stop stacking and being able to identify which is wrong.

People that bolus for food and then snack inbetween can find it harder when things go wrong because of stacking, un anle to establish which bolus was wrong 1st or 2nd and alo no hope of knowing if its the basal.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
think of it as like a chart, this is an example.

Attachments

• exsample.jpg
    exsample.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 247
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
so when you take multiple doses eg snacking you'd have multiple lines see :)

D

Deleted member 83869

Its all fine now i changed my lunch carb ratio and no hypo's and 3 consecutive bm's of 5.2 so its sorted