Dry mouth.

Bigbaz

Hi

I have type 2 diabetes which for the last three years has been diet controlled after years on metformin.

For the last two years ive suffered a very dry mouth, it even makes my lips dry. It’s not slightly dry it’s extremely dry. Eating and drinking during the day helps tremendously but night time is a nightmare even with frequent drinks.

I have no dental issues save that my dentist remarked on how dry my mouth was. None of the medication I taken is linked to a dry mouth so I’m guessing diabetes is the cause.

I’ve seen my GP a and he gave a gel called Biotene, it helps for about 3 minutes and that’s it. I’ve tried things listed on the NHS a website such as cutting back on caffine and nothing helps.

It really is miserable so I’m wondering, hoping someone here has a magic remedy.

Best wishes

Barry

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I have type 2 diabetes which for the last three years has been diet controlled after years on metformin.

For the last two years ive suffered a very dry mouth, it even makes my lips dry. It’s not slightly dry it’s extremely dry. Eating and drinking during the day helps tremendously but night time is a nightmare even with frequent drinks.

I have no dental issues save that my dentist remarked on how dry my mouth was. None of the medication I taken is linked to a dry mouth so I’m guessing diabetes is the cause.

I’ve seen my GP a and he gave a gel called Biotene, it helps for about 3 minutes and that’s it. I’ve tried things listed on the NHS a website such as cutting back on caffine and nothing helps.

It really is miserable so I’m wondering, hoping someone here has a magic remedy.

Best wishes

Barry
Hi, I've had this in the past - it included my mouth being "gummed up" sometimes in the morning. It's really uncomfortable and unpleasant.

The technical term is xerostomia. Eventually it went away on its own, and so far hasn't returned. It can be a symptom of diabetes (although mine only appeared when my BGs had returned to normal levels) but can also be a feature of other medical conditions, medication, and increasing age.

If you're at all concerned you should get it checked by your doctor.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bigbaz , dry mouth with diabetes is usually causd by high blood glucose. How have your numbers been lately?
If your diabetes is doing well the cause is likely to be something else.

Reactions: deniski

bryanfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude/ignorant people and those who don't clean up after their dogs no fun gettng poo stuck in wheelchair hels
Hi I am suffering with dry mouth at moment I know it is caused by tablets prescribed by GP after my Neurologist wrote to them, they work through night wonderfully no longer having to get up every 1 to 2 hours for toilet can manage on a good night not needing to go until between 6 and 7am so feel as though I have had a good nights sleep also my wonderful hubby gets a good nights sleep as I need him to help me up from bed and into bathroom but mouth so dry wake up and sip couple small amount water just to get relief for maybe an hour then wake again dry mouth cracked lips think will need to speak to my GP or pharmacist based at surgery ask if there is another tablet I could try don’t want to stop taking them or will be up n down all night

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often wake up with a dry mouth but always has a bottle of water beside the bed
some say that taping the mouth shut will help

Last edited:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I had a dry mouth for a few weeks before I was actually diagnosed. I think it was a symptom of my type 2 but haven't had it since

deniski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me as Type 1 diabetic a dry mouth is a sign of too high blood sugar so perhaps do some hood sugar tests to see where you’re at.
If they’re normal, at least you’ve got one possibility out of the way.
Another potential is that you’re dehydrated, cut out every drink except water and measure how much water you drink a day; it should be at least 2 liters.
Good luck

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on fluid restictions and have to cut back my intake of drinks.

At night when I go go to bed I use Biotene Moisturizing Spray 50ml, which costs around $10.00 - $15.00 here at my phrmacy in Australia. I have found this very useful to stop dry mouths, gummed up feeling at night.

i could only find a ebay link for it in the UK.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Several years ago I had most of my Parotid glands removed due to tumors since then I do not produce saliva in any significant amount.

I use Biotene Gel which helps.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

Yuan Man

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I'm prediabetic (My doctor told me that my case is not cause by high blood sugar), so I had skin graft surgery at both ankle on Dec 2021, because I have frequent urination problem and not convenient to walk to toilet, I drank very less water and I start felt dry mouth after two weeks of surgery, it getting serious after a month, like desert in the middle of the night, so I went to blood test and see both Chinese and Western Doctor, they all said there's no medication for dry mouth, I went to pharmacy to buy Biotene Oral Rinse mouthwash (it was just help few hours), I suffered few months even taking Chinese medication, I'm not sure it was help or not, but I still felt desert in the middle of the night or while sleeping.

After few months, a pharmacist ask me to try drink Oxygenizer water, I was thinking just to tried for hope only, and it does help a bit more, at least less feeling thirsty while sleeping, so I think maybe water can help my case, then I found EIONS Ionized water filter, it's actually very expensive to me, but thanks God it's help! I drink it until today (5 months), started have saliva to swallow. I hope this help.

(Forgive if my English or grammar not proper)

Thank You and have a great day ahead!

bryanfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude/ignorant people and those who don't clean up after their dogs no fun gettng poo stuck in wheelchair hels
After struggling with really dry sore mouth tongue and lips side affects from Solifenacin tablet to help me sleep through night not needed to get up to toilet every 1 to 2 hours my GP has prescribed a spray Salivix Spray mint flavoured it really works and tastes quite pleasant I spray tongue top and underneath then each side of inside cheeks and it really does work, sometimes get few hours before waking with really dry mouth so just have few small sips of water then re-spray my mouth with the Salivix