JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
Hi all,

When I last saw my consultant in September then the DSN in November, I was told that as soon as I knew I was pregnant to let the team know and go in and see them. I found out at 4 weeks and had an appointment booked with the DSN this Friday, the soonest they could fit me in (now 6 weeks). I was very clear i needed to see someone because I was pregnant. So I have now got home to a letter to say my appointment has been moved to the 25th, which will be about 8.5 weeks.

Do you think this is too late? Should I kick up a fuss?

I am taking folic acid and know to try and get my levels a bit lower, and luckily I have a libre so feel I can work on this on my own.

I am seeing my GP on Tuesday regardless.

T

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @JBlaza can you ring your dsn to discuss? I can't remember what the NICE guidance says but I definitely had viability scans when I was about 7weeks pregnant and you also need your hba1c checking I think.
Congratulations x

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya! When I was 5 weeks pregnant they wanted to see me straight away and got me in for the next day! Phone your Dsn and discuss with her she may change it for you - A massive congratulations to you too!!

Dark Horse

Eye-screening should be booked soon after your first ante-natal appointment, at around 10 weeks or so.

nmb264

I got a viability scan around 8 weeks so as the others said maybe give your midwife a ring?

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was also put straight onto 75mg of aspirin at the consultant appointment and told off for not already being on it (this is my first pregnancy...) so it may be worth seeing if they can see you earlier. I think all type 1 diabetics should be taking it as it helps the placenta and reduces preeclampsia but see what they say. Good luck and congratulations!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Phone them @JBlaza so you can check what's going on. Also check you've been booked in to the pregnancy clinic rather than just having a 'normal' appointment. Sometimes wires get crossed. But I don't think you should panic or worry. You know that you need to keep your blood sugar tightly controlled and you're taking folic acid :)

I called my team at about 5 or 6 weeks and was offered an appointment the next day. I actually couldn't take that so saw them the following week when I was 7 weeks. It's good to get in there and get your 'schedule' of appointments sorted and have a chat with the consultants.

Don't worry too much about missing a scan (unless you have concerns). I didn't have one until 12 weeks.

I also saw my community midwife. I contacted her via my GP.

Regarding the aspirin, I was told not to start mine until 12 or 13 weeks, so do check what your consultant plans. I took it from then up to delivery.

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
Hi all thank you for the advice. I have phoned the diabetes team a few times now and made it clear I am trying to see someone because I am pregnant, I keep being told they will pass the message on to the dsn but I have still heard nothing back. So It looks like I am waiting until the appointment on the 25th given I am away with work next week.

Anyway, I have been to see the gp today and he is referring me to the midwife team at the hospital, so hopefully I will end up in the right place soon!

Reactions: 2 people