DVLA & GP Delays

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DVLA received my medical licence renewal on 20th September 2021 and only because I asked my MP to intervene did they send a letter to my GP 6 months later on 31st March 2022. Nothing's happened with my GP as this is not classed as NHS work, so the 12 months under section 88 is quickly running out. Everything is fine health wise. I have no reason to believe that the diabetes consultant or neurologist (MS) would stop me driving, if they are contacted. I've not been in this position before. What happens after the 12 months? Do I have to resit my driving test? I'm trying to get through to the DVLA but there are long delays.

Thanks

Sally

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I can't help regrading what happens after 12 months but I am concerned that you believe you are driving under section 88 and have no reason to believe the diabetes consultant or neurologist would stop you driving.
You can only drive under section 88 if you have a doctor's approval TO drive. If you do not have proof a doctor has given you approval to drive, you are not entitled to drive.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm also waiting for my medical licence to be renewed, but got a letter from my Diabetes Endocrinologist, so that I could drive under section 88. It's a nightmare trying to phone them. When I spoke to Citizens Advice, the lady said her relatives licence took 13 months to come, she didn't mention taking another test or anything.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have been waiting over a year now since sending in the renewal form. Around Jan/Feb time I had a form about mental health from DVLA to fill in, I guess regarding a different anti depressant I was taking. I’ve heard nothing since. I can’t seem to contact them either!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OP have reported success after contacting their MP, so maybe a route to consider?

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading on this forum about some of the licensing problems diabetics in the UK have, I checked out your government regulations. Someone please tell me that the average diabetic is not going through struggles like these in order to hang onto their license. I understand the regulations for larger vehicles, particularly commercial ones, but for the driver of a regular car?

I guess I’m just shocked at all the rules and bureaucracy relative to what it’s like for diabetics in the U.S. I can’t offer anybody any help, but I will say that if diabetic drivers in the UK think it’s crazy that they have to jump through all these hoops, they’re absolutely right. I can’t fathom why the UK has the system they do for diabetics.

Every once in a blue moon, it’s reported that a diabetic driver in my area crashed due to low blood sugar. But that’s never been sufficient reason to institute this kind of draconian regulation. It would certainly make me think twice about living in the UK, much as I love visiting. Just my two cents FWIW.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
DVLA received my medical licence renewal on 20th September 2021 and only because I asked my MP to intervene did they send a letter to my GP 6 months later on 31st March 2022. Nothing's happened with my GP as this is not classed as NHS work, so the 12 months under section 88 is quickly running out. Everything is fine health wise. I have no reason to believe that the diabetes consultant or neurologist (MS) would stop me driving, if they are contacted. I've not been in this position before. What happens after the 12 months? Do I have to resit my driving test? I'm trying to get through to the DVLA but there are long delays.

Thanks

Sally
Is this for a car?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
After reading on this forum about some of the licensing problems diabetics in the UK have, I checked out your government regulations. Someone please tell me that the average diabetic is not going through struggles like these in order to hang onto their license. I understand the regulations for larger vehicles, particularly commercial ones, but for the driver of a regular car?

I guess I’m just shocked at all the rules and bureaucracy relative to what it’s like for diabetics in the U.S. I can’t offer anybody any help, but I will say that if diabetic drivers in the UK think it’s crazy that they have to jump through all these hoops, they’re absolutely right. I can’t fathom why the UK has the system they do for diabetics.

Every once in a blue moon, it’s reported that a diabetic driver in my area crashed due to low blood sugar. But that’s never been sufficient reason to institute this kind of draconian regulation. It would certainly make me think twice about living in the UK, much as I love visiting. Just my two cents FWIW.
We don’t know if she means cars or another veichle. If you learn to drive (I’m planning to) I thought you only need a medical note if it’s a lorry or bus.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I can't help regrading what happens after 12 months but I am concerned that you believe you are driving under section 88 and have no reason to believe the diabetes consultant or neurologist would stop you driving.
You can only drive under section 88 if you have a doctor's approval TO drive. If you do not have proof a doctor has given you approval to drive, you are not entitled to drive.
On the other hand, if no doctor has ever told you that you are NOT fit to drive, then you are, in fact still fit to drive! Told the very same thing by DVLA this morning……..
Check the criteria they list and if you conform, you can drive under Section 88……although after 12 months I’m not sure of the situation.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We don’t know if she means cars or another veichle. If you learn to drive (I’m planning to) I thought you only need a medical note if it’s a lorry or bus.
DVLA are only interested if you’re on medication for diabetes, particularly insulin, because of the risk of hypo while driving. They also make you jump through hoops regarding eyesight testing and visual fields, unlike the general population who are driving.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, if you have a 3 year restricted licence, like most diabetics on insulin, there are still very long delays. It’s my opinion they are hoping for us all to give up! Add to that the issues with GP and hospital delays, the DVLA letters going astray, or not even being sent, they have huge issues to address. Civil Servants working from home are also adding to delays, in my opinion. Covid has led to many issues!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH is on a 3 year restricted licence because of Parkinson’s disease and applied for his licence renewal last October - his licence ran out at end of December. He had a letter from DVLA in June stating that they would be shortly writing to his consultant but has heard nothing since. If you chase them it’s always ‘still in the system’. We wait with eager anticipation!

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Daphne917

Do you know if they've written to the Consultant yet? It might be worth checking with his/her secretary, and if they have I'd get a copy of the Consultant's reply (or chase it up if he/she hasn't replied yet) so you have proof of when it was sent to DVLA.

Reactions: Nota Bene

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daphne917

Do you know if they've written to the Consultant yet? It might be worth checking with his/her secretary, and if they have I'd get a copy of the Consultant's reply (or chase it up if he/she hasn't replied yet) so you have proof of when it was sent to DVLA.
I’ll check with his secretary - he’s usually fairly quick

Reactions: Hopeful34