DVLA LICENCE HELP

PigstyPete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogance, bad design
I must admit I thought it was 3 months of good readings to get HGV Licence back.. Never heard of a myocardial scan.. Is this something that they are more asare of since the scottish HGV driver killing the pedestrians last year??
The scan involves the injection of a slightly radioactive substance to highlight the blood vessels into & around the heart. The scan is done while the heart rests & is stressed (use to be a treadmill but too many false positives occurred so now chemically induced stress). Takes between 4-6 hours ( but can be spread over 2 days) to do and a lot of images are then reviewed, a report generated and sent to DVLA for consideration.
My GP's take on this is that DVLA are scraping the barrel to NOT give me my vocational entitlement back but I have no reason to think I will fail.
I did drive fully freighted artic tankers (44 tons) and hope to do so again. I like to think I adopt a responsible approach to my work and run my bg's a shade higher 6/7/8 rather than 5/6 ( I remember a comment my GP made once that DVLA are not particularly concerned with your health).
With regard to the tragedy at Glasgow I believe the driver had a history of blackouts, I believe not diabetes related which wasn't declared to DVLA so that might be the cause of additional tests but heart attacks etc are reported after the event usually.
At 61 years old some may say I shouldn't be driving this size of machine but having retrained at my own expense (very enjoyable) in various related fields with a view to coming of the road (HGV wise) and after dozens of job applications/interviews (not enjoyable) I can only come to the conclusion that I have left it too late to move no matter how experienced so I'll keep my fingers crossed and stick with what I know.
Sorry I'm getting on my soapbox again & again

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The scan involves the injection of a slightly radioactive substance to highlight the blood vessels into & around the heart. The scan is done while the heart rests & is stressed (use to be a treadmill but too many false positives occurred so now chemically induced stress). Takes between 4-6 hours ( but can be spread over 2 days) to do and a lot of images are then reviewed, a report generated and sent to DVLA for consideration.
My GP's take on this is that DVLA are scraping the barrel to NOT give me my vocational entitlement back but I have no reason to think I will fail.
I did drive fully freighted artic tankers (44 tons) and hope to do so again. I like to think I adopt a responsible approach to my work and run my bg's a shade higher 6/7/8 rather than 5/6 ( I remember a comment my GP made once that DVLA are not particularly concerned with your health).
With regard to the tragedy at Glasgow I believe the driver had a history of blackouts, I believe not diabetes related which wasn't declared to DVLA so that might be the cause of additional tests but heart attacks etc are reported after the event usually.
At 61 years old some may say I shouldn't be driving this size of machine but having retrained at my own expense (very enjoyable) in various related fields with a view to coming of the road (HGV wise) and after dozens of job applications/interviews (not enjoyable) I can only come to the conclusion that I have left it too late to move no matter how experienced so I'll keep my fingers crossed and stick with what I know.
Sorry I'm getting on my soapbox again & again

I hope you get it back despite all the hoops you are having to jump through...

Reactions: 2 people