Type 1 DVLA Medical Licence

Maisie1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

Passed my driving test on 6th November. My provisional licence was sent by the examiner and I rang the DVLA the same day to check if my type 1 diabetes was on their record from when i applied for my provisional in February 2015, my diabetes was not recorded so I got sent some forms that I had to fill in about my hypos and my eyesight. I got sent a letter back that said I needed to state my name and sign to say I accept a 3 year restricted licence. I filled my name in and signed, this was about the 17th November. When I filled in the forms about my hypos and my GP's address etc, it said that if I feel I am fit to drive then I may do so but if I am unsure then I need to ask my doctor to confirm. On the DVLA website it says that I need my doctors approval that I am fit to drive, I've asked a nurse and a doctor at my surgery and neither of them seem to have a clue about what they need to do. So that's a great help.

Am I allowed to drive under my own opinion? My hypos have not needed additional help for over 10 years and I haven't been into hospital since I was about 10, I'm nearly 20. I meet the sight requirement but I do wear glasses when I drive. Please help.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are fit yes.....

if you have had more than 2 severe hypos in a 12 month period, which are events requiring third party assistance, then you are not.....

the questionnaire can be a bit intimidating, but should be kept as simple as possible using the above logic..

Reactions: Maisie1998

Maisie1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So my doctor does not need to authorise this and I don't have to wait for my licence to come through before i start driving?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The DVLA will contact the relevant medical professionals [GPs/Consultants] if they feel they need to....you don't need to provide anything more than the questionnaire.....what was your answer to the hypo question?

Can you start driving in the meantime.?...I couldn't be sure of that.....as the diabetes is new to them.......you could phone them to confirm whether you can drive while they process your license from normal to restricted.....you're still fit and able though....but best to check...

I don't see any issues with it though...

Maisie1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Um answers to the hypo question was yes I've had more than 2 in six months but i haven't needed help for them. I rang them because the whole thing was making me worry and they said they've received my forms and the declaration and they're just waiting for the medical department to review it and issue the licence. I asked if I'm allowed to drive or if i need my doctors approval and she said that my doctor doesn't need to do anything and that my pass certificate is all i need for me to start driving. So thats a massive relief. Thank you for answering my post :)

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So my doctor does not need to authorise this and I don't have to wait for my licence to come through before i start driving?
You will need authorisation from DVLA before you can get car insurance.