1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DVLA revoke licence even though GP advised me fit to drive

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Lampet77, May 9, 2015.

1. Mac2002

Mac2002 Type 2 · Member

I am type 2 do these rules about testing before driving apply to me ? I have just started driving again after 30 years because husband can no longer drive. My licence is up for renewal in September should I be worried ? Please advise thank you .

2. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

When my licence was under threat from a driving incident I quite honestly said to a member of staff that at the DVLA on the phone that I had been given antidepressants because of all the stess worry and depression this was giving me.
    Within 2 days I had another form sent to me saying that I needed to complete another medical questionairre as I had not given them all my medication and illnesses.

Many people are not aware that some medication for even depression and other illnesses have to be declared....

3. donnellysdogs

Depends if you are taling hypo inducing drugs such as any insulin or glicazide tablets etc.

4. kfp

kfp Type 1 · Newbie

You have 6 months to appeal, tell them you are going to appeal it usually gets them into action, I had trouble with them with eyesight even though I had a consultants recommendation, I went to court and won but they usually cave in before court.
    Sounds like your GP has messed up with my GP the Secretary fills out forms and I've never met her !!
    Idiots

5. ferret1o3uk

ferret1o3uk Type 1 · Member

YES APPEAL STRAIGHT AWAY IN WRITING , STATE YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THEIR FINDINGS , WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THEY CAME TO THAT CONCLUSION AS YOUR DOCTOR IS SUPPORTIVE AND HAS NO ISSUES WITH YOU DRIVING . PHOTOCOPY EVERYTHING YOU SEND TO THEM .REPORT IT TO YOUR MP AND ASK THEM TO FORWARD IT TO THE HEALTH MINISTER TOO . ON APPEAL YOU WILL BE REVIEWED BY A IMPARTIAL DOCTOR , WE ALL NEED TO COMPLAIN LOUD AS POSSIBLE TO PRESS AND TV ABOUT THIS TOO

6. mirren101

mirren101 Type 1 · Newbie

It's time diabetes UK got in about the dvld and put them straight this is blatant discrimination against diabetics

7. Chrissy232

Chrissy232 Type 1 · Member

Hi i've just got my licence back after it being revoked for a year my opinion is probably not that your sugar levels are bad but maybe not checking enough. If you drive daily you need to test daily because it only takes that one time for you to not check that something goes wrong good luck with it very frustrating I know but it's not only for your safety but for others as well

8. Bighans

Bighans Type 2 · Member

I think as a type 2 insulin dependent myself, it is a must to test and it is only logical. Any chance to avoid a hypo whilst driving. Guys stop moaning about it and do as told, as well keep eating every half hour just a little something. And stop every 1 1/2 hr and test and stretch your legs, nothing wrong with that. If you a bus driver, do it at every terminus and you will be fine. So take it as an insurance policy for other road users and yourself!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. blink

blink · Well-Known Member

He is following the rules though......he is complaining that after following the rules the declared have still not renewed his license. You don't need to be eating every half hour either if you are a type 1 and you background insulin is correct you don't need to eat anything to keep your bg level steady.

I'm unsure about type 2 diabetes as I have type 1. He has stated that on long drives he does stop and test every 2 hours as per stated by the dvla rules.

Hope you get all this sorted out and let's know what went wrong.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They don't want to know about anything other than insulin if it is for a standard car licence. Gliclazide, Victoza etc are all non reportable drugs. See the link given elsewhere for the full run down on what the DVLA needs to know.

Ali

11. donnellysdogs

Yep seen it.. Sorry.

12. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No worries, just seeing a lot of posts lately implying various oral drugs and injectables are notifiable but they aren't. I find it odd tbh but there!!!!

Ali

13. donnellysdogs

I should know better tho!!

14. Minnie_19

Minnie_19 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Mirren,

I completely agree. I have been in close liaison with Diabetes UK regarding this and they assure me they are holding out to hear the outcome of the meeting held in October and will be campaigning later in the year if things do not change. Take a look at my campaign for more information if you haven't already seen it: http://www.tinyurl.com/A4DD-Petition . It took a hell a lot of fighting but I was lucky in getting my licence back. I'm still campaigning and pushing for the DVLA to make changes to their criteria. I think things are meant to be looking positive though and there is a lot of work going on in the background or so I'm told. Role on October when we might have a decision!

• Like Like x 2
  15. denbo

denbo · Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if u can claim loss ov earnings whilst yr licence as been revoked due to waiting to c DVLA independant consultant wot do they think yr living off whilst they make a decision as can't work til I get my licence bk

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook