Type 2 DVLA - T2 - Gliclazide

Covlocks

My blood sugars have taken a big wobble over the past 8 weeks, bouncing between 12 and 23, with a weight loss of 16lbs.
After a struggle I get to see what I thought was a DSN at my local health centre, and she gets me on Gliclazide, along with my Metformin SR, Sitaglyptin, and Empflagozin.
She says I must now tell the DVLA, but nothing on the DVLA I can find says that, the only difference being if I was on Insulin.
There is no chance of a hypo, the Gliclazide hasn’t had any effect, so my BS is still very high (11.4 after getting out of bed).
Do I still need to tell the DVLA who may knee jerk and remove my driving license?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
inf188x2-information-for-drivers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

My understanding (possibly incorrect) is no, as long as you aren't having "severe" hypos. (My father certainly didn't while he was on gliclazide, though he no longer takes it since he's reduced his carbs). But I've got to say that Dr google is somewhat vague as to whether you need to report.)
eg
Report your medical condition (form DIAB1) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

But they won't take your driving license away if you aren't getting hypos.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gliclazide can make u go hypo so I believe u have to notify DVLA.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DVLA only need notifying if on Insulin, - BUT the DN should have given you a meter and you must test before driving (don't drive below 5) and every 2 hours if on a long journey

Reactions: Covlocks

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The DVLA used to specifically list the likes of gliclazide and similar meds (hypo causing)needing to be advised..

The website now states consult your GP if the DVLA requires notification

So ask your GP on the record and follow his advice

If you have a license for driving more than 3.5ton then yes they will need to know

22b5303c16bd3bd6610fe4859436af6c.jpg

Reactions: EllieM and Covlocks

Covlocks

inf188x2-information-for-drivers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

My understanding (possibly incorrect) is no, as long as you aren't having "severe" hypos. (My father certainly didn't while he was on gliclazide, though he no longer takes it since he's reduced his carbs). But I've got to say that Dr google is somewhat vague as to whether you need to report.)
eg
Report your medical condition (form DIAB1) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

But they won't take your driving license away if you aren't getting hypos.

Doesn't look like that is too onerous - it's all about hypo's, which with my BS level being ridiculously high at the moment, is not on the cards. But reading between the lines nothing will happen if I fill in the forms, but if I have an accident of any sort and don't fill it in, I guess the insurance company will have a field day.

On the plus side, having driven an average 50,000 miles annually most of my working life, I'm glad to sit in the navigators seat at let the 'boss' drive, it's just nice to have the ability to drive as and when I need or want to.

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
It was about 32 -34 years ago that I had a couple of severe nocturnal hypos which I told my Dr about and unfortunately a couple of weeks later got a letter from DVLA saying they had taken away my license under advice from my Dr and I could reapply in 12 mths if my control improved and my Dr agreed , I complained and got my license back after 6 mnths , Now I am almost afraid to tell the medical profession if I have had a hypo which just means for me going below 4 as I never really have severe hypos that I can't treat if i've had anything below 3 i'me almost afraid to show my metre at my annual review , Have any of you lost your license under these circumstances or was I just unlucky with a very strict Dr ? In 45 yrs of driving I have never had an accident let alone one caused through a hypo .

Reactions: Covlocks

Covlocks

DVLA only need notifying if on Insulin, - BUT the DN should have given you a meter and you must test before driving (don't drive below 5) and every 2 hours if on a long journey
Problem is, real DSN’s are few and far between. Very few, if any, GP surgeries have one. They send a nurse off for a one day course, they come back experts. Mine took my BS reading after wiping my finger with an alcohol swab and got a reading of 33.7. She said wow, that’s dangerously high, then sent me home. I went home, did it again and it was 21 - not great but she hadn’t a clue.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
As the screenshot above you MUST discuss with your gp if you don’t you may be driving illegally

It needs to be on your record that you asked if they need notification

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
on another tack...
Sudden weight loss and high sugars...T1 possibly?

Can you test ketones?

Covlocks

on another tack...
Sudden weight loss and high sugars...T1 possibly?

Can you test ketones?
All in the melting pot - but until I find a qualified DSN (few and far between) or an interested GP it’s all speculation. My appointment with a proper DSN has been made - it’s in August. To get back to see my GP takes 6 weeks, at least

Reactions: MrsA2

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
As the screenshot above you MUST discuss with your gp if you don’t you may be driving illegally

It needs to be on your record that you asked if they need notification
I declared my Insulin dependant diabetes in 1975 when I had my provisional license to ride a moped and since then have had to renew my license every three years after filling in the relevant form , It just happened 34 yrs ago that my Dr at the time said I was not fit to drive , Nothing has changed since then and I have never had a problem , They always contact my Dr to get confirmation that i'me ok .