dvla

jenn.b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just some advice please. .I'm type 2 and taking metformin and gliclazide...unsure if I need to inform the DVLA and my car insurers about my Meds ...?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just some advice please. .I'm type 2 and taking metformin and gliclazide...unsure if I need to inform the DVLA and my car insurers about my Meds ...?

DVLA are not interested in people that do not use insulin and therefore have a low risk of hypoglyceamia. Gliclazide can make your blood sugars low so it's a good idea to test yourself before driving.

As for your underwriters, I take the view that a phone call now, stops them from wriggling out of a claim later. Your premiums should not increase though.

Welcome to the forums.

Reactions: jenn.b

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@urnbanracer
I'm a novice in comparison to yourself, and please correct me if I'm wrong but, as a Type 2 on Glipizide, similar to Gliclazide, both of which can cause hypo's, I was told I'd have had to notify DVLC and Insurance company. of this.

Also, I must be sure, and test, that my blood glucose level is above 5 in order to drive, and to test at least 2 hourly if on a longer journey.

More info here - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Driving/

As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks
Julie

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@urnbanracer
I'm a novice in comparison to yourself, and please correct me if I'm wrong but, as a Type 2 on Glipizide, similar to Gliclazide, both of which can cause hypo's, I was told I'd have had to notify DVLC and Insurance company. of this.

Also, I must be sure, and test, that my blood glucose level is above 5 in order to drive, and to test at least 2 hourly if on a longer journey.

More info here - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Driving/

As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks
Julie

Not sure what you are asking, the link you have posted confirms what I stated in my previous response:-

If you are a Group 1 driver on non-insulin medication for diabetes you do not need to notify unless:

• You have had two episodes of severe hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months (where you were completely dependent on another person to treat your hypo)
  • You develop impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia (where you are unable to recognise the hypo when it starts)
  • You experience a disabling hypo whilst driving
  • You have other medical conditions or changes to existing medical conditions which could affect your ability to drive safely. Examples are: problems with vision (e.g. laser treatment/injections), circulation, or sensation (e.g. peripheral neuropathy).
Hypo-related problems are most likely to happen on sulphonylurea or glinide tablets. If you are unsure whether your medication could cause hypos check with your diabetes care team.