dvla

colliecub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just filled in the form to let dvla know I have started Insulin. can I still drive while waiting on restricted licence? Nowhere can I find on dvla website that you cant but according to diabetes uk you have to stop driving immediately and wait for licence. I live on an island. my vehicles are needed as there is no punlic transpor this far out. went to contact dvla but their website says dont ring them unless you're a key worker. If I cant drive then I'd have to come off the insulin to keep my licence. The whole insulin thing is stressing me out

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just filled in the form to let dvla know I have started Insulin. can I still drive while waiting on restricted licence? Nowhere can I find on dvla website that you cant but according to diabetes uk you have to stop driving immediately and wait for licence. I live on an island. my vehicles are needed as there is no punlic transpor this far out. went to contact dvla but their website says dont ring them unless you're a key worker. If I cant drive then I'd have to come off the insulin to keep my licence. The whole insulin thing is stressing me out

Relax ! You can carry on driving until you get your restricted licence.

Where does it say you cannot? Can you post a link?

colliecub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
cant find the link but I took a screenshot. How can I upload that. Also rang diabetes uk and they said stop driving

iblamedan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, needles and blood
I called them as I posted mine off today too! They said as long as a doctor had not suggested it was unsafe for me to drive and that id advised my insurer then it is fine :)

colliecub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
IMG_9631.jpg

Reactions: urbanracer

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You have a window of 3 months to inform the DVLA after starting insulin.
https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving
They asked me if my GP was ok with me driving and I responded 'yes'. The posted form took 2 weeks to be acknowledged, and the licence was posted 2 weeks later.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Try not to get stressed out. I've been doing this stuff every 3 years since 1986? ;)

Here's wishing you many years of happy motoring.

You have a window of 3 months to inform the DVLA after starting insulin.
https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving
They asked me if my GP was ok with me driving and I responded 'yes'. The posted form took 2 weeks to be acknowledged, and the licence was posted 2 weeks later.

Blimey,

I've had a response letter dropped through the door saying my form is being processed after 2 weeks..
..Along with my renewed licence.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks everyone. just thought I couldnt drive until licende came. rather have my wheels than insulin

If it's any consolation.
i once got stop checked by two Dutch pushbike cops whilst on holiday, literally as i was pulling out of a car park.
I thought i might have turned into a cycle lane?
They assured me i had done nothing wrong. But they did wish to see my licence..
I'd recently had a renewal prior to the break & forgot to wallet the new licence? It was still in an opened envelope on the side back home..

So i produced an out of date document & waited for one of them to notice.. :banghead:
Believe it or not, after explaining the situation when it was spotted.
The cop handed it back & said, "OK enjoy your holiday." :cool:

Best wishes.

Babsi

Hello, I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in may of this year and informed the DVLA then, I still haven't heard anything from them. I completed the form online, and it states you can drive till you hear from them.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t forget to inform your car insurance company and, if you are a named driver on another policy, their insurance company will need to know as well.

TypeZero.

Hello, I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in may of this year and informed the DVLA then, I still haven't heard anything from them. I completed the form online, and it states you can drive till you hear from them.

I filled out a paper application and haven’t heard anything yet either. I was diagnosed in April but contacted DVLA in May.

I still have 4 hours left in my pack worth £100 and I don’t want to waste it. I have to get my lessons before I start university as I won’t be in London anymore.

Are we actually allowed to drive? Why is it taking ages for them to come to a decision? Is it due to the medical team being a bit slow to tell them about your condition or something?

colliecub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So after all this time I now have my shiney new licence. The accompanying letter however says not to drive before the date on the licence which is 4a. Ive been driving all this time so maybe the advice diabetes uk was correct. the date on my 4a was only 28th Aug though I only got it through the post tonight. also according to my insurance company it was ok to drive til new licence arrived. the info seems bad as if you were in an accident you woukdnt be insured or licenced. If I'd known you werent supposed to drive for six weeks I'd never have agreed to the insulin which I fought off for years
IMG_1599073891.619279.jpg