DWP have stopped my pip what do I do

yorkshire92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I have been claiming pip due to have diabetes type 1 , diabetic neuopathy, hypo unawereness and having depression. About 1 month ago I when for a medical and was told I had to attend or my benifit would stop. I recently had a letter saying I was no longer allowed it. I can't go out without my partner as I don't no when I am having a hypo and my legs are very painful day and night as a result of this I don't sleep. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am asking them for a reassessment at the moment.

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter in law had that happen some months ago, on the grounds that she is able to walk - disregarding the fact that she has chronic pain after an operation on her knee. After some months they accepted that she actually is disabled and paid the money she would have got during the suspension. A totally useless exercise which caused distress and upset, and put the family into debt.
You just have to go through the right channels to get it sorted and wait out the time they take to admit that they were wrong.

Reactions: Prem51

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi everyone,

I have been claiming pip due to have diabetes type 1 , diabetic neuopathy, hypo unawereness and having depression. About 1 month ago I when for a medical and was told I had to attend or my benifit would stop. I recently had a letter saying I was no longer allowed it. I can't go out without my partner as I don't no when I am having a hypo and my legs are very painful day and night as a result of this I don't sleep. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am asking them for a reassessment at the moment.

Thanks
You have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration then if as predicted it doesn't go your way then you appeal to the courts, where hopefully common sense will prevail.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Definitely appeal with support from a welfare rights person. You could get details from you local council or citizens advice bureau.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Can I ask how long you've been claiming for? They don't work on the lines that because you have A, B or C condition,you can't improve. They will come at it from the angle of - why can't your hypo unawareness be improved (as it's not a permanent condition, the same with the neuropathy and the depression. Unless you have proof from a doctor that your condition is a permanent disability, they will try and boot you off PIP first chance they get I'm afraid.
I agree with the other posters but a warning, you will need current medical evidence to prove your current condition, so letters from GP, Hosp doc, DN anything like that. Hope you get it sorted.

yorkshire92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone , My partner and myself have send a letter with extra information and ask for a mandatory reconsideration. Just want to no what happens next if anyone knows. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you

Merry Christmas

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Apply for MR when that is refused then apply for tribunal appeal. Essential that you have proper advice from CAB or welfare rights. Gather as many reports from your GP & consultants etc.

DWP are quite ruthless about refusing to renew PIP payments, don't be deterred because 60% of claimants actually win at tribunal level, don't forget that the true figure would be a lot higher if everyone appealed.

I was refused PIP & MR so went to tribunal & won ! Don't be deterred by the DWP, their conduct is disgraceful.

A

asparagusp

Yes agree with all of the above advice and yes the DWP have absolutely no idea what decent people are up against. My heart goes out to you. You could also make an appointment with Citizens Advice. Good luck and please let us know how things go.