Dyslexia

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Sorry this isn't diabetes related but i'm struggling to find answers :( so i've come to the place i know i can ask pretty much anything!

My mother has dyslexia, she recently went for a job interview and was told she had to do a written assessment, she asked for a computer or some sort of help with her spelling and other things her dyslexia effects.

She was told they had contacted HR and was told she couldn't have any help as it would be an unfair advantage to others. (all she wanted was help with spellings so she is confident to write the assessment based on 2 questions)

She was due to find out wether she'd been successful today, she explained to the woman (from HR) what had happened and the woman is sure that nobody ever contacted her regarding my mum's dyslexia.

So my question is what is she entitled to, help wise with dyslexia?

My mum is FANTASTIC at her job, she is one of those people who excel in anything that is thrown at them, she has had office jobs, management jobs and is currently a personal careeer coach to those out of work. If she had the tools to do this she would BLOW them away with how amazing she is in such a position!!!

She was at risk of redundancy and Tupeed (i think thats it) over to a similar company but had to interview for a permanent job, so her contract is already with the current company, the interview will determine if she will stay with the company or made redundant.

I've googled for over an hour now and found nothing solid, i'm hoping that some of the guys here who are very good at research could kindly find me something concrete for her.

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can give.

(admin and mods - sorry if i've posted in the wrong place, feel free to move this where you see fit!)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
So my question is what is she entitled to, help wise with dyslexia?

To be Blunt
comes under hidden disabilities
YES

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/
Dyslexia does not always affect a person's ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Dyslexic people can often reduce the effect of their disability if they are able to do things their way. However, if they cannot do this for any reason the effects can be disabling. When the Bill was being debated in parliament, the government made it clear that they thought severe dyslexia was covered under this law.

Reff: below and lots of info for you at this site

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/pages/information/dyslexic-adults.php

Dyslexia for Employers
http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/page...ce/introduction-to-dyslexia-for-employers.php

ebony321

Dislikes
Thankyou very much for taking time to look into it for me.

They have told her she can do the written assessment again so this time i'm helping her find proof she is entitled to be helped so she has the same oppurtunities as everybody else!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Dont know the answer to this ebony but your mum has my sympathy as I am dyslexic as are my four children, and you dont need to explain how good your mum is at her job, dyslexia does not mean you are stupid, far from it, its just that our brains are wired in a different way to most. :D

bowell

Dislikes
For more Information ask at Job center plus will have an adviser for this
Ask CAB as well
http://resources.morrisby.com/documents/PTC_Guides/Dyslexia_PTC.pdf
ref above
Dyslexia and the law
Dyslexia can be a legally recognised disability depending on its severity.
Therefore, when applicants or candidates are being assessed, the qualified test
user should have due regard to the employment provisions of the Disability
Discrimination Act (1995); this makes it unlawful for an employer to treat a
disabled person less favourably than a non-disabled person without good
reason. Discrimination is outlawed in a wide range of employment activities
including selection, promotion and training. Employers have a duty to make
reasonable adjustments to selection processes and working conditions so that
disabled persons are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.1

You can ask for an oral test
Application form guide

Use a simple clear type face like Arial 12.
Send the application form by email or on disc so that the individual need not be concerned about written presentation and can also use a spellchecker.
Where possible, use matt, pastel coloured paper. Some forms of dyslexia are made worse by colour; with black against white being the worst.

Aptitude and other tests.

Discuss with dyslexic applicants in advance so that necessary adjustments can be made.
Ensure that test instructions are clearly read aloud.
Allow more time for dyslexic candidates.
If adjustments are unsuitable be prepared to waive the test. There are often equally satisfactory ways of getting the information

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/page...ce/introduction-to-dyslexia-for-employers.php

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I have heard a comedian come on stage saying "hello, or as a dyslexic would say . . . hello, it doesn't affect your speech" I like that as it plays on peoples misconceptions before exposing their own stupidity!

ebony321

Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
Dont know the answer to this ebony but your mum has my sympathy as I am dyslexic as are my four children, and you dont need to explain how good your mum is at her job, dyslexia does not mean you are stupid, far from it, its just that our brains are wired in a different way to most. :D

Very well said Sid!

My younger sister also has dyslexia, my mum fought for her to be recognised as having dyslexia so she got all the support she was entitled to.

With the support she is on the same reading and writing level as her peers. She is also extremely intelligent and articulate.

She is currently waiting for her GCSE results, she was allowed more time in her exams but only used this in english and declined with her other subjects.

I know it sounds cheesy, but i really do admire my mum, i would say her dyslexia is more than mild but i wouldnt say it is extreme. She adapts herself around difficulties she has and is successful in everything she does. I find it very frustrating that she was proud and confident enough to ask for help, but was declined from anything, which in turn she feels affected her oral interview as it had knocked her confidence a little.

People with dyslexia are definately NOT stupid, im sure you and your kids can prove that, and so can my mum and sister. Like you say it's just wired a different way and people with dyslexia see things differently, it's nothing to do with understanding.

Gosh i'd love to sort of present my younger sister to anyone who says people with dyslexia are stupid, she would knock their socks off!

She also loves to read :) being 16 she is in LOVE with robert Pattinson and always has her nose in a stephanie meyer book too!

My my i've rattled on! i'm as passionate about dyslexia as i am about diabetes you could say :)

bowell

Dislikes
Famous People with the Gift of Dyslexia

And Bowell :mrgreen: In my day you were just Stupid ,,Not Until I went to Collage found out why

http://www.dyslexia.com/famous.htm

branson.jpg

[youtube]l_qGJ9svUbM[/youtube]